Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

This may be the most important election in our nation's history   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Sep-13 by MerlinsDad; 1834 views.
MerlinsDad

Sep-13

This is my opinion.

Someone recently stated that "I'm tired of politics."  This may be the most important election in our nation's history, with the possible exception of the 1860 election.  This is not the time to get "tired of politics" simply because you think you already know enough to vote wisely.  This is the time to be seeking facts and gathering information.   As discouraging as this may sound to some,  conservative news -- i.e., FOX on-line-- does not provide the facts, or, if so, they are so well buried that they're hard to discover.  Conservative opinion pieces, whether in print or on tv, bury the facts as deeply as possible, or sometimes, avoid them altogether, to present an extremely biased view of events.  FOX tv, relishes their role as the state television network and will do whatever it takes to hold on to it.  A state tv is dangerous for the nation.  CNN is biased towards a more moderate view of politics, but their on-line news does a much better job of accurately presenting events and providing quotations.  What the candidates actually say is critically important.  I encourage you to diligently seek the facts.   Despite efforts to depict the media as "enemies of the people," the reality is that there are many reliable print sources available.  This is the worse possible time in our nation's history to be "tired of politics."   The future of our nation depends on the outcome of this election, and we need to be studying as much as we can to find the facts.  I urge you to arm yourself with the facts before you vote, and, for goodness sake, don't get tired of politics at this critical time in our history -- for your sake, for the sake of your grand and great grand children, for the sake of our nation, and for the sake of the world.  Please vote wisely.
Msg 4331.2 deleted
BWArtist

Sep-13

Having Bob Woodward's new book coming out with nine hours of the president giving true confessions, I don't see the value of not being able to post a new thread about it. 

Of course if you can't defend against  the information from the presidential horses mouth, I guess restricting political dialog because you're tired of politics is the way to restrict free speech at a forum that has always had a political discussion.

What Woodward has provided is beyond what took Nixon down. And now I feel uncomfortable sharing my concerns here. Especially sad as I've been financially supporting Delphi since I was asked to help when Blue Frog tried to monetize Delphi.

Was this "tired of politics" request even made by a paying member? 

I realize that you can't answer as you're just a fellow concerned poster. But honestly! We're living through serious world history! And we're just supposed to shut up and stick to fluff.

BWArtist

Sep-13

Are you a paying member to get such privilege?

kizmet1

Sep-13

You said a mouthful. :)
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-14

Your post is misleading. I’ve given you two options to post about politics. I’ve moved this discussion to the political folder. This one could be used for further political posts so people can always find them.

This election is important. No one ever said it wasn’t.  I am tired of hysteria politics and seeing the forum spammed with a continual stream of new posts about the same person.  I never said we could not discuss politics, I was talking about where to post political topics. You chose to define it very narrowly and took offense.  You own that.  I’ve now given you three posting options.  If those are not acceptable to you then you are free to offer another solution. I’m not going to repeat the problem. I’ve already posted it many times.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-14

Read my previous post. You are able to post. Please read all my other explanations.  I’ve explained it very clearly.

Delphi has 3 levels of membership. Delphi Plus is the best with the most functions, so you get something out of it. Anyone with a Plus, Extra or Basic membership can post. Non paying members are just as able to post as paid. 

MerlinsDad

Sep-18

Here's an essay you might find interesting.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/politics/2020-election-american-voter-worldviews/index.html

It discusses why there are those who deny facts, resist information, dismiss statistical evidence, and, in other words, are "tired of politics."  What they mean is that they are fatigued with the cognitive dissonance required to resist reality in order to hold onto preexisting political views.  Here's a good summation of the fault line which has entered the American political arena.

"Increasingly, campaign strategists and political scientists agree, voters are choosing between the parties more on their views about fundamental demographic and cultural change than on their immediate financial circumstances or even their views of economic policies, such as taxes, spending and regulation. 

In important research,[Brian F.] Schaffner and his colleagues found [https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/polq.12737] that the denial that racism or sexism exists in America was the best predictor in the 2016 election of support for Trump, far more than any measures of economic distress. On the other side, Schaffner found that the belief that racism and sexism are serious problems predicted support for Clinton more powerfully than economic attitudes, as well. "Now the parties are very clearly sorted on issues of identity politics. . . ."

The "town hall meeting" on September 17 versus the one on September 15 demarcate clearly that division.  Even Woodward's revelations and the allegations of The Atlantic article seemingly have not budged the needle.  "The blinds may be especially closed for conservatives, with Fox news often registering in polls as the only news source that a majority of Republicans say they trust."

It's a long article but does a good job of discussing the resistance to reality.

• Edited September 18, 2020 11:14 am  by  MerlinsDad