Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it possible Covid is less contagious than we thought?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Sep-16 by Showtalk; 4718 views.
Alfi (THIALFI)

Sep-24

Other. Nobody knows.

Showtalk said:

That will never happen. NY Times provides half the content on Twitter

Well, maybe. I've seen stranger things than that, which no one thought could never happen.

Often a lot of deleted content makes the major platforms complicit in interfering with future investigation of war crimes and blatant human rights abuses, especially video evidence that should be preserved for a "Nuremburg tribunal" possibly years after the events took place.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2020/09/10/video-unavailable/social-media-platforms-remove-evidence-war-crimes

So if they can delete content that might be the only hard evidence that stands between mass murderers eventually being brought to justice vs the same just getting away with it, certainly they are happy to call life-saving information "propaganda" and flag it for removal as well.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-24

I’m starting to see some researchers with plausible theories.  Nothing definitive yet.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-24

Welcome back! We missed you.  

That infuriates me, trying to erase past history for a new narrative. If we can’t remember the past, we can’t learn from it. It’s a form of international bullying.  Holocaust deniers are high on that list.

Showtalk said:

That infuriates me, trying to erase past history for a new narrative. If we can’t remember the past, we can’t learn from it.

Bingo. That's one of the reasons I have bought a few 4 terabyte hard drives and set up a couple of dedicated download systems at other people's places that I can VPN into and remotely issue commands to archive certain videos and other stuff. So if it's scrubbed from the web, it's not all gone.

These days the internet nanny state platforms are doing the equivalent of that funny mustached dude's Brownshirts burning books in the 1930s.

YWN666

Sep-25

Let's assume for a moment that the NY Times article is true.  If you walk into a room with 100 people and you know 90% of them are not contagious but don't specifically know who is contagious and who is not, how does that help anybody?  The virus is still spreading like wildfire in some places so if it is coming from 10% of those who test positive, why does it matter?  I don't want anyone to see this news, if true, and decide to ease up on the precautions we have been taking.  Those who believe the virus is a hoax will jump on it as proof to support their asinine conclusions.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-25

It will come back in them later when people leave.  Facebook may have a billion accounts but how many are active? There are new platforms emerging.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-25

That fear is what controls our actions and behaviors.  I’m following all the guidelines myself because I don’t want to get it, but many many people are not. I have friends who have driven over an hour to find a theater where they can see a movie. Who have taken vacations many of us would never dare to take. Who have visited family for reunions even though the risk of bringing it back to others is high. Young adults who are following the guidelines who have roommates who are not.  

People don’t believe the virus is a hoax, some believe the fear surrounding it is.  They may not be wrong. In order to control the population, the people in charge have terrified us. We do. It need to be scared we need to be informed and practical.

YWN666

Sep-25

I think many people are not scared enough, judging form their irresponsible behavior.  If we didn't take measures to protect ourselves from this virus, millions would have been killed by the virus by now. It seems that the idiots who didn't take it seriously, suddenly do after they catch the virus and many of them are dead now.  I'm fine with them allowing their own stupidity to kill them but they always take innocent people with them.

At the beginning, the virus was a huge unknown so officials took precautions just in case.  As we learn more about the virus, we find out that some of the precautions we took might not have been so critical, but will I blame officials for scaring us needlessly?  No.  For what we knew at the time, their advice was appropriate.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-25

They were scared until they saw how few people were getting it. We were never going to lose millions of people. Considering how serious the virus is, there are relatively few deaths. Over 90% were in people with an average of 2.5 comorbidities they would have die of anyway if they had not contracted Covid. I’m hearing of more people I know or know of who had it and all recovered with no side effects, people from ages 30s-70s. 

The millions number came from a discredited doctor in the UK. It was never a scientific estimate, it was a hysterical one.