Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A couple of interrelated issues   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-25 by MerlinsDad; 384 views.
MerlinsDad

Sep-25

Let's start with a couple of interrelated issues:  1) Trump's refusal to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day.

Trump is quoted as saying:  "Well, we're going to have to see what happens," Trump said when asked whether he'd commit to a peaceful transition, one of the cornerstones of American democracy.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/politics/trump-election-day-peaceful-transition/index.html

Given his authoritarian inclinations, I think we need to take him seriously.  I think there's a good possibility that he could file legal challenges to the election which could carry the clear determination of a winner past January 20, 2021.  Trump's efforts to steal this election could do lasting damage to our principles of government, and that should concern all Americans.  These are clearly the actions of an autocrat.

Directly related is McConnell's (and Trump's) rush to seat a Supreme Court justice as fast as possible.  McConnell and Chairman of Committee on the Judiciary, Lindsey Graham, seem more or less promising that a nominee, no matter who it is, will be seated.  In fact, they are in such a rush that they sound as if they would vote to seat the candidate without a candidate being named.   I hope we actually have a confirmation process and not just a perfunctory vote. 

There is no question of their legal grounds for naming a justice, but their haste to do it before the election or in that lame duck period between election and inauguration seems to indicate that they have abiding concerns about their candidate being elected, despite his authoritarian inclinations to hamper voting as well as the vote-counting processes.  If they were sure he would take office in January, there would not be this unseemly stumbling over themselves to seat a justice no matter what it takes.

Of course, there's always the possibility that declaration of a winner could be so tied up in legal proceedings that the election goes to the Supreme Court, as it did in 2000.  And Trump hopes to have the Supreme Court packed well enough in advance that he would expect (which might not be a strong enough word) them to anoint him. 

He’s tried so hard to create doubt about the coming election that I am personally very worried that he will be successful in stealing the election to the everlasting detriment to the country. 

The Republicans have been called “hypocritical” by many because of their stand in 2016 and their current rush to name another justice.  Hypocritical is so overused that it has lost its power.  Of course, they are hypocritical, but that doesn’t bother them  -- in fact, McConnell seems to embrace the idea.  More worrisome is that it doesn’t seem to bother the American public nearly as much as it should.

I think calling them dishonorable more accurate, but, since Gingrich, who has associated honor with the Republican Party? 

Let’s hope our political system strong enough to withstand these onslaughts. 

Be sure to vote.  And vote wisely.   

kizmet1

Sep-25

Grumble!
Why can't you use anything besides CNN as a source? It makes you lose creditbility that I know is hiding somewhere inside of you.
MerlinsDad

Sep-26

I've answered that several times question before.

kizmet1

Sep-26

Who do you expect to read it? How can you get your point of view across? If you have a valid point of view then surely other news services would support it, wouldn't they?
MerlinsDad

Sep-26

I've answered your questions about my preference for news sources.

kizmet1

Sep-26

Yes, and I am sorry you do not want to expand your research more to attract more readers.
MerlinsDad

Sep-26

Thank you for your concern.

kizmet1

Sep-26

I am concerned. I know you to be a well rounded person who can converse about many topics but CNN has brought out a stranger with only a one track mind.
MerlinsDad

Sep-26

Are you trying to warn me?

kizmet1

Sep-27

Warn you? You sound like I might have connections to something from the Mafia? Just saying that as an Oregonian I really recall you calling the Portland rioters a "peaceful protest" due to your "source". At the same time I was up until 4am many nights watching horrible vandalism on live tv.
  • Edited September 27, 2020 1:11 am  by  kizmet1