Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you finding new product shortages Fall 2020?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Sep-30 by Showtalk; 3405 views.
kizmet1

Oct-19

No deposit?
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-19

Yes, that is why I want to turn them in. We can also put recycling out with the trash for someone else to get refunds.

kizmet1

Oct-20

Our recycling looks pretty sad in front of some homes here. I saw a dirty pizza box put in the recycling bin. I do mean dirty.
Showtalk said:

I can’t even get to the WSJ article page. When you post a link it goes to their sales page

Guess I need to attach the whole article as a text file so it can be read. Maybe because I have AdBlock and NoScript working, I don't get those redirects, and the Firefox coders are staying ahead of the arms race.

kizmet1 said:

I don't mind the bottles as they weigh less but they fill up my little cart in a hurry when returning the empties.

A trick I learned with plastic bottles. Crush them by rolling them up from the bottom to the top with the cap on but loose enough for air to escape. Once you're rolled it up as tight as practical, hold it that way and screw the cap on the last 1/4 turn. This removal of the air reduces the volume by about 90% or more, so you can get a LOT of empty bottles in the same space.

Glass of course you can't do that with. But the plastic bottles should get the same recycling deposit back whether full volume or pre-shrunk, as they still shred and process for cleaning out residue, then re-melt and mold new bottles or other stuff.

kizmet1

Oct-20

I can experiment with one bottle. They have to be able to.go into a machine and be read by a barcode reader light. There may be a sign saying not to scrunch them up.

I'd check. You could also scrunch them to transport them, then unscrew the lid enough to let the air back in. You can even blow into the bottle neck like it was a balloon to un-scrunch them to read the bar codes to turn them in once you get there.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-20

Since recycling is another form of trash, that isn’t surprising.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-20

I use those too and I still can’t open it.  I think WSJ only opens if you are the original searcher.

kizmet1

Oct-20

Sure, it would give me something to do while waiting in line. It would give everyone else a good chuckle.