Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What is the longest your home has bee...   The Curious You: Your Polls

Started Oct-14 by kizmet1; 2205 views.
kizmet1

Poll Question From kizmet1

Oct-14

What is the longest your home has been without power? Why?
  • Under a day6  votes
    30%
  • Several days6  votes
    30%
  • Week or more7  votes
    35%
  • Other1  vote
    5%
  • Never0  votes
    0%
Under a day 
Several days 
Week or more 
Other 
Never 
In reply toRe: msg 1
kizmet1

Oct-14

8 days. It was in December 1995. Big windstorm took down trees, poles and wires everywhere. Stupid electric company didn't know houses were at the end of my street. Wires were down across my driveway and I was trapped. Neighbors were coming and going to restaurants. Finally, I rode my bike to tell them. I had camp stoves but ran out of food.
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-14

That is a long time. It sounds dangerous. 

kizmet1

Oct-14

More cold than dangerous. Had woodstove in basement and slept on couch older than I was.
Now, I have a lot of propane and can sleep in my bed.
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-14

That is a better plan.

A few hours short of 3 days. April 2019. Still not sure exactly what broke but the electric company had to re-build a section of power line.

Fortunately, the generator ran quite well over that time. I'd top the tank off before heading for work and it would need refilling in the evening when I got home, and maybe another top-off around midnight.

We actually ran on generator from that Sunday afternoon when the power went out until late Tuesday evening when I got home and saw that the oil well across the road  was operating again.

That was the first real test of the transfer panel.

There was another prolonged outage of about 27 hours in I think November 2019. There haven't been any real outages in year 0 B.P. or 2020.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-15

Are they required to fix it right away or do they say you’re out of luck

They are supposed to fix it right away, but sometimes fixing it is a lot more complicated, such as when a substation circuit breaker blows up and a replacement flown in from overseas.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-16

Sometimes for a long outage in a crowded city, they will bring in a supplemental generator to restore some power.

me (DENNIS4927)

Oct-16

2 weeks back in March of 77 I lived out in the eastern plains of Colorado and we got hit bad. we were snowed in for2 weeks before they could plow us out. We had a round pot belly wood stove and a lot of camping gear. Helicopters from FT. Carson were bringing supplies out to people ( no beer or cigarettes though lol). We had a drift that was roughly 15 feet high and a good 12 feet thick. Big road grader with a v-plow kept ramming it to brake through. 9 peolpe died in that storm one was a neighbor which was 5 miles from us