Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What is the longest your home has bee...   The Curious You: Beliefs and Ideas

Started Oct-14 by kizmet1; 2496 views.
Showtalk
Host

Oct-17

Can you move back?

me (DENNIS4927)

Oct-21

Na i remarried and all our kids and grandkids are here in NH except 1 and she is only down in Mass.
Showtalk
Host

Oct-21

So you need to stay.

In reply toRe: msg 1
EdGlaze

Oct-23

Living on the south Texas coast we've had numerous week-plus power outages with hurricanes.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-23

Do you have a back up generator?

EdGlaze

Oct-23

When I actually lived on the coast I had a generator and unfortunately had a need to use it.

I now live over 50 miles from the coast, instead of 50 yards, and don't have a generator at the house I rent, though I may buy one next year.

My job is tending to multiple large generators at a prison and should there be a hurricane will likely be there 25/7 making sure the generators keep working. 

Showtalk
Host

Oct-24

So, you will be in a place with power while yours is out at home.

EdGlaze

Oct-24

Assuming power outage is the only serious problem because with hurricanes flooding is usually a concern.

The busy 2020 hurricane season shows that many inland areas are also seriously affected by power outages.

The western states' wildfire season has shown that firefighters can lose their homes while away trying to protect others.

Whatever the reason, sometimes evacuation is the best defense because a long power, water, transportation, or other outage is something few of us. or our communities, are prepared for.

Prepare for possible loss of electricity

DISCUSSIONS — Evacuation 

• Edited October 24, 2020 11:51 am  by  EdGlaze
Carol Ann (Knit_Chat)
Staff

Oct-24

We rarely have service interruption because our wires are underground. However, during hurricane Sandy we lost power for about 10 hours. Surrounding areas had no power for 2-3 weeks. My son had no power for 16 days. 

Showtalk
Host

Oct-24

Going without water is the worst.  We were told in case of emergency if we are not evacuated, to have several weeks of food and supplies on hand.  Most people do now because of the Covid shortages.   Yes, if you flood you have to leave.

Some states, thinking of California, now have rolling black outs because they want to use all natural energy but don’t manufacture enough. During a heat wave, they can’t provide electricity for everyone.  Their solution is to tell people to cut back.