Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unhappy Urbanites find Homes on the Range   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Oct-21 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 959 views.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Unhappy-urbanites-find-homes-on-the-range-15661838.php

... Their living room didn't just seem bigger than the photos on Zillow that had led them to make a $559,000 offer after 24 hours in Montana, a place they had never been. The 2,300-square-foot house was twice the size of the two-bedroom condo they sold in Brentwood, Calif., before packing their cars and driving 16 hours northeast, released from the confines of the coronavirus pandemic and the jobs Robert had grown to hate and Valentina had lost. ...

... The newest migrants are different. They're escaping fear, of the pandemic and of the social justice marches they believe are bringing violence to their door. Montana can bring them back in time. The state is open for business. Interest rates are hovering below 3%. The mask police lay low. In a hyper-divided country, Montana's politics are balanced. Its demographics less so, but that is part of the appeal for many who are coming here. ...

... "There's a perception that a lot of things are going to change depending on the election outcome, and here you can protect yourself where you still have gun rights," said Myrna Rue, a real estate agent in Red Lodge, an old coal-mining town of 2,300 at the edge of the Beartooth Mountains. During one week in mid-August, she was juggling 39 deals. ...  ... "I'll be really curious to see what all of these buyers think of our winters," she said. ...

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-21

Liberals changing the character of Montana, if they can survive a winter.

If they can survive the winter.

Because they haven't lived in Siberia, Alaska, Nunuvut (Canada), Norway,  or been stationed along the old DEW line on the Greenland ice sheet, or any of the research stations on Antarctica. Southern Californians are in for a frigid shock.

Actually in many higher elevation places in Montana the winters are colder than in many places in Alaska and the Canadian Arctic.

Once they experience peeing outside and having it freeze before it hits the ground, only then will they legitimately be able to do a real cost / benefit of moving there.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-22

That’s right, they haven’t lived through a winter yet.  I know someone whose daughter moved a family to Montana one year, and then down south another.  It was the winters.

Yeah, harsh winters have been underestimated by many throughout history, and I suspect most Southern Californians aren't gonna be as tough as Sir Earnest Shackleton and his crew:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Trans-Antarctic_Expedition

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-22

Definitely not!  So Cal residents may have never seen snow, much less lived in it.

I can picture a California to Montana version of "The Cremation of Sam McGee".

"Since I left LA, down in southern CA, that's the first time that I've been warm."

https://poets.org/poem/cremation-sam-mcgee

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm,
in the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile,
and he said, "Please close that door.
It's fine in here, but I greatly fear
you'll let in the cold and storm--
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee,
it's the first time I've been warm".

kizmet1

Oct-22

I want to hear from them when they have their 1st power outage. 1st time they drive during a freeze. First snowdrift blocking the drive way and front door.
I live in Portland and have been through the above. I own ski clothes to wear in the cold. Wonder what they will have?
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-23

How do people who live there stay warm?

I wonder how many will total their fancy "green" California compliant cars on the ice in the first real hard freeze with precipitation?

Down here we get a good ice storm about once every 3 to 5 years. Drivers are way out of practice, and you can count several wrecks per mile on the major roads.

Some of us who learned to drive on ice and snow in the mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, the Texas Panhandle, and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri, know to stay home if we possibly can when there's icy roads here, because so many idiot drivers over-estimate their ability to handle the conditions, and are likely to slip and slide right into you.

I'm one of the handful of people who actually owns a set of tire chains to fit my vehicles and practice occasionally putting them on. They also can help with traction on muddy roads, although of course they are designed to bite into the ice. You still have a LOT less traction than rubber on dry clean pavement, but a lot more than rubber on ice. So tire chains become a force multiplier in icy weather.

In New Mexico during mountain ice conditions, they put up signs that say tire chains required on upper elevation roads. And there's these wide spots to pull over and put them on, manned by the highway patrol, who have a gate installed. You stop at the gate, they inspect your chains, and if they pass muster, they raise the gate and let you through, one car at a time, with enough spacing that if someone still wipes out, it limits the number of collisions and risks of pile-ups.

I'm sure that a foot of snow in Southern California would close schools, stores, and nearly every business. A foot of snow in Edmonton, Alberta or somewhere in Montana is just another workday.