Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is your phone an Apple or an Android (or other)   The Online You: Internet Life

Started Oct-23 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 631 views.
$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Poll Question From $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Oct-23

Is your phone an Apple or an Android (or other)
  • Apple - because it is very secure1  vote
    5%
  • Android - because it supports apps I use that Apple won't.0  votes
    0%
  • Android because it's cheaper2  votes
    11%
  • Apple because I'm part of the cult1  vote
    5%
  • Apple because I have to keep up with my hipster friends1  vote
    5%
  • Android because I can develop apps easier on it0  votes
    0%
  • Android because I can actually repair them (with proper tools)0  votes
    0%
  • Android because the battery can be replaced0  votes
    0%
  • Android because of standardized charging / USB interfaces0  votes
    0%
  • Android because it supports plug-in headset0  votes
    0%
  • Android for more than one reason (list all)2  votes
    11%
  • Apple for more than one reason (list all)2  votes
    11%
  • I use a different brand than Android or Apple e.g. old Nokia flip phone(speci...2  votes
    11%
  • I don't have a mobile phone5  votes
    29%
  • Other1  vote
    5%
Apple - because it is very secure 
Android - because it supports apps I use that Apple won't. 
Android because it's cheaper 
Apple because I'm part of the cult 
Apple because I have to keep up with my hipster friends 
Android because I can develop apps easier on it 
Android because I can actually repair them (with proper tools) 
Android because the battery can be replaced 
Android because of standardized charging / USB interfaces 
Android because it supports plug-in headset 
Android for more than one reason (list all) 
Apple for more than one reason (list all) 
I use a different brand than Android or Apple e.g. old Nokia flip phone(speci... 
I don't have a mobile phone 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1

I was this article that inspired me.

https://www.thehour.com/business/article/No-longer-afraid-of-retaliation-app-developers-15668526.php

I'm learning to write apps for the Android, to support some industrial equipment via Bluetooth and wifi / tcp/ip. Not even trying to write a version for the Apple because of their horrible restrictions on developers and the difficulty of even getting into the app store. I think the ratio of Android to Apple users is somewhere about 8:2 to maybe 9:1.

To me, it was never worth expending 10x the effort to capture maybe 10% of the potential market. So i was telling people - if you wanna talk to the industrial automation device, just get on Ebay and buy an Android. You can set up the wifi to download and install the app even if it doesn't have a SIM to use it like a real phone.

And the various Androids I have used support a micro-SD card to store all sorts of data, such as thousands of pictures, a lot of PDF files, etc.

Plus I can easily just load custom ringtones into it without any problem, and it has native MP3 codecs as well as handles M4A, and no need to use a company restricted nosy spyware app and send custom audio through the cloud first.

As another bonus, the Linux builds I have on various computers directly talk to the Android. Plug a USB-micro cable straight into the phone, the other end into a USB2 or USB3 port on the Linux box, and Allow connections when it prompts, and the phone looks like an external hard drive or thumb drive - sort of. You just drag and drop files or you can use the ls, touch, cp and mv commands straight from the LInux command prompt if you want more precise control than the GUI will let you.

You can also install a Linux-like console straight onto the Android phone, and run shell scripts, as well as fairly easily port code over that was debugged on a notebook or desktop (if you know what you're doing).

Most of the oil industry, who use low volume niche market electronic instruments and controls, don't want to waste that much development time only to have Apple bureaucrats, who are often clueless about energy production, and who have employees and upper management outright hostile to oil and gas.

It's not worth the business risks to spend millions developing an app for the i-Gadget n+1 only to have some 24 year old radical twerp who can afford a Tesla or such, immersed in a deep blue city in a deep blue state, who with a couple of mouse clicks can just disapprove your app from the app store and all that R&D has gone down the drain.

With the Android, you only really have to pass security intrusion tests to be sure your app can't be hijacked and used as a malware vector, which today is just basic computing practice, so you as a development engineer, can focus your efforts on actually writing the code that makes the magic in your app happen.

So whether you are using a Bluetooth on a drilling rig's computer that weighs the derrick and tallies the drill pipe in the hole and drilling mud density to calculate the down-force on the bit at the bottom of the well to optimize cutting speed and minimize bit wear, so you can have a nice virtual readout from the safety of the geologist's shed next to the rig floor, or if you have some kind of oil well submersible pump controller that you can just drive up to and fine-tune from that nice heated or airconditioned pickup cab when it's 118 degrees outside in west Texas or New Mexico, or -40 somewhere on the windswept prairies of Alberta in a January blizzard, you can do it with your smart phone.

kizmet1

Oct-23

I didn't know what I was doing. A woman on the bus said she was buying a new cell phone off the tv in a few days. I thought it sounded like something a bus rider should have due to the strange homeless people coming and going around the area. I turned on my tv when the women said to and got a phone. Problem was, I used wrong channel and got a different brand. Mine is a soon to be obsolete 3G while the other channel sold a 4G. At least I get to keep my cheap contract with the prepaid carrier.
In reply toRe: msg 1
EdGlaze

Oct-23

I still use a flip phone for text and calls only and do not use the camera or to access the internet. I won't upgrade to a smart phone until my old phone is no longer supported.

When I get one it will likely be an Android and a least expensive model.

Yeah I had to finally give up on the 3G flip phone because it also had a horribly expensive plan compared to the newer one. So now there's unlimited text, and I think about 4 GB of data (very low for things like watching youtube, but plenty adequate for when the network is flaky and you just really, really have to get an urgent email sent out today.

Galaxy 5 family seems to be a good price / performance level at the moment. I ended up using mine sometimes as a hotspot to get online with a real computer when the existing network is brought to its knees. But I now have a separate device just for data - it's added onto the existing plan really cheap, and it looks like a modem / router. Just plug in a cat-5 cable, or even plug in a switch in between, and you're up and running.

kizmet1

Oct-23

I got a great plan with mine. Triple minutes every 90 days for $19.99 for life of phone. Since I don't talk and rarely text, I have about 3600 minutes in each one. It is the internet that runs things up but I can use it free at library and many stores. It will all transfer when I activate my new 32G phone any day.

Using the phone as a wifi hotspot and then a real computer with real keyboard and full sized screen can be more efficient as far as data usage, especially if you use Firefox and plug-ins like NoScript, UBlock Origin, and AdBlock Plus.

That stops the obnoxious and bandwidth killing ads that all the news sites try to foist on everyone.

kizmet1

Oct-24

Interesting. Someday, I will learn more when the library reopens and
I can get lessons on my phone and laptop.
  • Edited October 24, 2020 12:10 am  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-24

I use blockers but can’t access some sites. Others require you to see auto play videos which can’t be turned off or blocked.