Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Approve Of Labradoodle Breeding?   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Oct-27 by kizmet1; 5598 views.

"but I’ve seen people on forums who can barely support themselves, who will pay for a quality dog"

Jeff Foxworthy makes redneck jokes about those types.

If your hound dogs cost more than your house ... you might be a redneck.

If you mow your grass and discover a car ...

If your pickup truck cost more than your house ...

If you bought a pickup truck just to haul your hound dawgs around ...

What will probably happen in the meantime is that financially weaker airlines, and many airport, will go under. Once things come back there are likely going to be new names that bought up the assets of aircraft, land, buildings, etc. at fire sale prices. Probably a lot fewer routes, etc.

Many airliners are presently mothballed out in the Arizona desert, covered in dust proof, UV reflective and opaque "Saran Wrap". Many that were due to be retired within the upcoming 2 or 3 years may never fly again. The economic impact is staggering. It may require decades to rebuild air travel to its glory days, assuming it ever does, because with rising poverty due to job losses and likely skyrocketing taxation under the Biden administration, air travel's best days are behind it and may never recover in the US, and even less so in Europe and other nations that have had even more draconian shutdowns.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327011/Hundreds-planes-parked-Arizona-desert-giant-boneyard-airbase-remain-storage.html

... Stunning aerial pictures show hundreds of aircraft parked in a desert 'boneyard' after airlines including Delta and United placed them in long-term storage as flight operations are cut to around 5% of normal operations due to the coronavirus.

Ranks of jets are seen lined up at Pinal Airpark, 90 miles south of Phoenix, where the dry desert air helps to keep them in good condition and stops them from rusting while they are not being used during the global health crisis.

The 'boneyard' was already home to hundreds of retired commercial and military aircraft but now major airlines have parked up huge amount of their fleets for the foreseeable future.     

http://www.stationgossip.com/2020/05/plane-graveyard-hundreds-of-jets-are.html

...Airlines have been forced to cut back on services due to the coronavirus pandemic, with many countries closing their borders to foreign travelers in unprecedented efforts to flatten the curve of infections.

The demand for travel has plunged worldwide during the COVID-19 pandemic, as business and leisure travelers cancel their trips. 
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has been publishing information on how many passengers have passed through US airport checkpoints each day, with a comparison to how many traveled on the same day of the week last year.
In the U.S. alone, the numbers of passengers traveling are just 5% what would normally be expected, meaning there has been a whopping 95% decline travel.  ....

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200415-where-are-all-the-unused-planes-right-now

... With uncertainty about when it will be safe to lift the world’s lockdowns, however, there’s equal uncertainty about how many of those planes will be needed during the recovery phase, and how quickly. Demand is still, in many places, rock-bottom: earlier this month, on 2 April, just 349 people left Hong Kong Airport. Those people could easily fit on one Cathay Pacific plane, with room to spare. ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/ask-the-captain-what-will-it-take-to-return-parked-airplanes-to-service-after-coronavirus/ar-BB12nvoZ

There are definitely many fewer routes being flown. The other thing that is happening, is some planes are being stripped of seats and cargo attachment hardware installed instead, to handle the increased need for various and sundry goods due to more and more people stuck at home.

I have been watching aircraft flying over in the area for the past few days. Passenger planes are very rare to see. However, I see a lot of FedEx and UPS aircraft by about a 4:1 ratio compared to passenger planes.

And with international borders closed to most people, I suspect that many of those carriers will simply fold from lack of revenue and continued overhead costs of a whole lot of empty aircraft parked somewhere.

kizmet1

Oct-31

Amazing. I used to live close to airport, under a flight path. Always greasy hair. Moved away and my hair stays clean many more days longer.
  • Edited November 1, 2020 11:36 am  by  kizmet1

Maybe pollution from traces of unburned fuel in the good old days?

These days they spend a lot of time and money making sure every drop of fuel that goes into a jet engine is fully combusted, as any greasy stuff in the air is wasted money that could have gone to propelling the aircraft.

Of course the tin foil hat conspiracy theory folks would call that "chemtrails". I guess technically, a contrail is a trail of chemicals - water vapor and carbon dioxide and nothing else - byproducts of combusting the fuel in the jet engines, which then the water vapor hits that bitter cold -50C air up there around 40,000 feet, which then causes it to instantly condense into nearly microscopic snowflakes as they encounter residue from the hundreds of tons of micrometeorites that end up hitting the upper atmosphere every day from deep space.

The engine exhaust out of the combustion chamber that has gone thru the turbine blades is essentially a mix of nitrogen, steam, some leftover oxygen, and CO2 at a fairly high temperature. It blends with the bypass air from the turbofan blades at the front, that are used to greatly increase the efficiency of the engine's propulsion, which is bitter cold.

A few hundred feet behind the aircraft, this "fire and ice" has blended to a warm equilibrium, then depending on the humidity aloft, it either dissipates without condensing, or it condenses into trillions of tiny ice crystals as it mixes with the bitter cold air and adds just enough extra moisture to exceed the water vapor saturation capacity of the air.

So this is why, if you look at an airliner in high altitude flight with a good pair of binoculars, you see the contrails appear about 1 to 10 plane lengths behind it, normally 1 trail per engine. Sometimes in really humid air, the wing and tail tip turbulence itself will cause enough temperature drop to pull that localized air below the dew point, or trigger nucleation if the air is already super-cooled.

Then the passage of the aircraft is what triggers the condensation of supercooled air into a trail of ice crystals that can persist for a long time.

Add in the water vapor from the engine exhaust, and you can sometimes find a plane leaving a very dense trail that all the engine exhausts merge quickly with supercooled triggering from the tail and wing turbulence.

If you have supercooling effects you might actually see the contrail forming directly at the trailing edges of the wings. This is one quick and easy way to see if you have supercooled vapor saturated air at high altitude.

While these do not release mind-altering chemicals into the air, they do increase the reflectivity of the planet as a whole, causing less overall sunlight to penetrate to the lower atmosphere and the ground, so these contrails have a net planetary cooling effect, although the CO2 eventually adds to the greenhouse effect as well.

Actually if one were to do the math, they could dump staggering amounts of LSD into the upper atmosphere and most of it would never reach the ground over a populated area in a sufficient concentration to cause any effects. Most of it, statistically 3/4 of it, would eventually just go directly from air to oceans, whatever fraction that wasn't broken down by ultraviolet light from the sun before it even got to the ground.

Any aerosols released in the stratosphere by aircraft can take days to weeks to have any of it reach the ground, and it will usually drift thousands of miles before it does.

This is well documented by the fine ash particle patterns in "The Year Without A Summer" where a huge volcanic eruption - I think it was Krakatoa - launched thousands of cubic kilometers of very fine (smoke sized) ash particles into the upper atmosphere, and it circled the world many, many times and took years to slowly settle out.

This is also the mechanism by which a Nuclear Winter would happen should we have had a full blown missile exchange with the USSR in the good old days.

But it took thousands of cubic kilometers of crap in the air to bring about the year without a summer. Every airplane in the world, if all of them were flown at altitude, and all the passengers and luggage replaced by some kind of chemicals, could not deliver enough stuff at high altitude to make a noticeable difference on the ground to people. If anything, enough to have mind-altering effects on people concentrated into the urban centers, it would wreak total devastation on wildlife in wilderness areas long before anyone noticed anything.

Stuff like that has to be delivered at very low altitude to get it onto the target. They didn't spray Agent Orange in Vietnam from 37,000 feet. They went as low over the jungle as they possibly could, taking ground fire in the process, to defoliate strips of jungle maybe 2x to 4x the wingspan of the spray plane, as the wingtip turbulence spread the mist out at ground level.

kizmet1

Oct-31

There was an eruption in Alaska that caused something like that only it was in the early 20th century and off the east.side of the beginning of the Aleutian chain.
When I was "jailed" near the airport I noticed a need to wash my hair every night. Now I as am far away from all airports and only wash it when I leave home. I don't think "experts" care about dirty hair, just money.
kizmet1 said:

When I was "jailed" near the airport I noticed a need to wash my hair every night. Now I as am far away from all airports and only wash it when I leave home. I don't think "experts" care about dirty hair, just money.

It could even be pollution from the various taxis and buses, rather than the aircraft.

What decade / century was this? They really cleaned things up in the 1990s.

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-1

Unless you are going on a plane, you don’t need two masks. I talked to someone who wore two on a plane and could barely breathe the entire flight.  But arrived safely, then returned and did not get sick. They were going to a wedding.

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-1

People who hunt for a living or hunt to eat need a good hunting dog.