Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Approve Of Labradoodle Breeding?   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Oct-27 by kizmet1; 5624 views.
kizmet1

Nov-6

A little bit if both happened. A pilot flew to.an airport as close as he could and then it was raken apart and moved to acreage. The wner has been going about it removing various parts to give visitors more room and also, he can get good money for them. It is/will be a B&B in the country. Personally, my idea of a B&B is a place by the ocean or a darn good view.
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-6

You are too practical.  I like the idea of it just getting to where it’s needed. Somehow they got them all out to the desert.

I kind of figured it was something like that. Fly it as close as practical, then dismantle and truck it the rest of the way.

I've read about them made into houses, especially on hilltops and such where there is a good view.

It was cheaper to fly them to the desert to park them, so they wouldn't deteriorate as fast as in many other places. It's still thousands of gallons of fuel (jet fuel is dispensed by weight, not volume, but it's about 6.5 pounds per gallon at room temperature.

The volume can vary by quite a bit, over 10%, actually, depending on how warm or how cold it is. This is also why it is sold by weight, and there are charts to look up volume to be sure you don't over-fill the tanks in hot climates.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/jet-fuel-temperature-density-petroleum-volume-correction-ASTM-D1250-gravity-d_1944.html

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-8

But what a waste!  Will any of those planes ever be usable?

The planes that have low enough airframe time, may eventually be placed back in service some day. The ones that were already near end of service life probably will not. If demand ever comes back, then new aircraft will get built, assuming that the manufacturers are still in business by then.

The new normal may be a permanent drop in demand as a fraction of the population. Millions of people taking pay cuts, out of work, and now skipping travel may have adjusted to the new normal, much like an animal kept in a cage for a long time, once the door is open, may not leave the cage because the cage has become their comfort zone.

The number of people who have remained sufficiently affluent to travel by air may likely be permanently depressed, and with the new administration likely raising taxes and regulatory compliance costs for fossil fuel use, the costs of aviation will only continue to rise, and I expect to see travel by air slowly revert to a luxury for the affluent the way it was in the 1930s.

Showtalk
Staff

Nov-9

That last paragraph could happen.  We will see. It is not over until it’s over.

kizmet1

Nov-9

Fossil fuel?
Did the Biden family always go by row boat to their home in the Virgin Islands?
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-9

Yes, they paddled.  The rules don’t apply to them.

kizmet1

Nov-10

IMO Sonny could have used a good paddling as a minor . He is an embarrassment to his parents.