Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dump SAMSUNG!!   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Dec-5 by kizmet1; 2989 views.

Sounds like something intermittent in the tuner area, where it sometimes can decode a signal and other times it can't.

Those are the most baffling to find and fix, and really those tuners aren't designed to be fixed. Unlike the good old days when we still lived in a free nation and you could go to the 7-11 and test the tubes from your TV to determine which ones were flaky.

Been really busy during the day for the past month or so, or catching up on sleep when not. Today it's nice and sunny and warming up fast so fixing to work on a vehicle and walk the grounds picking up trash that I didn't have time to deal with during the past wind storm.

Then there's supposed to be someone help with observation and materials handling to see if the van can be gotten fully street legal. Might be able to get the inspection done on Ground Hog Day since of course all the vehicle inspection places are still on Covid Standard Time with short hours so you have to wait in line like everything else, while if they added shifts and extended hours, say, until midnight, then it would thin the number of people waiting for everything and thus reduce virus transmissivity risk by reducing the time divided by distance cross section exposure for everyone, much like reducing the neutron cross section exposure of fissile material by spreading it out into a configuration that cannot go prompt critical.

kizmet1 said:

I feel like everything electical made is fragile. Also,very complicated and hard to repair.

The consumer electronics cartel does this deliberately because their business model, mostly based on rapid obsolescence, can't move forward with new sales to replace obsolete stuff if it wasn't designed to break in about a year or less.

If you were to get, say, a video camera, and it lasted, say, 25 years, they would only be able to sell you that one camera which you could then pass down to your children and grandchildren, who also wouldn't buy a new video camera.

But by designing one to last about a year to 18 months, then break in a manner that the average non-geek lacks the tools and documentation to troubleshoot or repair, it drives the herd into a "forced choice" of throwing it away and buying a new one if they want to continue to record precious memories of their lifetime.

They then double down on this paradigm, by making the hardware and software closed architecture. In the good old days you could buy Sam' Photofacts service manuals for every television, radio, toaster, electric heater, skillet, lawn mower, leaf blower, edger, outboard boat motor, generator, electric drill, etc. out there. You could order parts, and the average person with an IQ higher than maybe 70 or so could usually fix it with commonly available hand tools.

Today, they make sure to not let any details of the inner workings leak out, and they even use microcontrollers whose die inside are built where you can't discover the software code that makes it work even if you have a $20 million laboratory equipped to micro-grind the integrated circuit encapsulation off to expose the silicon beneath and attempt to use microscopic probes to read out the memory contents and reverse engineer / decompile / disassemble the code to even discover how it works. They design these part to self-destruct if you try to probe them, even if you have a PhD in solid state integrated circuit design and decades of expertise in wafer fabrication technologies

So even the experts will have to destroy hundreds of units to eventually reverse engineer that particular make and model, expending thousands to tens of thousands of man-hours to crack the secrets of an appliance one can just throw away and replace for $250

The cost of this has transformed me from far right wing on environmental issues into almost as much of an environmentalist as Algore, because of the sheer amount of E-waste this business practice generates, and because so many places we used to could hunt and fish and such have been taken over by vast mining interests to keep getting new raw material for new electronics while we dump the old stuff over in Ghana and other places for six year old kids to boil in pans of mercury to recover the tiny flecks of gold and die of mercury poisoning by the age of 20.

We can't keep up this whole one-time use and unrepairable, unmaintainable business model. I hope one silver lining out of the pandemic is a move away from a throwaway society to one that is more reusable, recyclable, and with so many millions struggling to make ends meet, a move back to the Depression era model of reuse, recycle, totally use up, repurpose, instead of always buy new poor quality crap and throw away old poor quality crap that lasted a year or less by intentional design.

kizmet1 said:

I always wonder where teens get the money to buy things and then I wonder how long before they are obsolete?

Parents, grandparents, jobs

Most stuff is designed to be obsolete within about 3 years if it's a really expensive thing like a smart phone, and designed to break in about a year or so.

The thing that galls me the most about the newer phones is the battery that is glued in so when it dies you have to replace the phone.

I'm kind of an opportunist when things happen that might not be what I wanted, so I'm thinking with the new incoming administration, who already leans in that particular direction on that facet, we should al write letters focused narrowly on that specific issue (and silent on the thousands of other issues we disagree with them strongly) to try and reign in the whole forced obsolescence and opaque system designs that enforce the throwaway culture. Focus hard on the environment and this as a root driving force.

Same with one time use plastics and other stuff. Being a bit of a rural survivalist type, I see this crap everywhere that should be pristine and untouched. Mention the crap in the oceans - the plastic garbage gyre, the stuff at the bottom of the Marianas Trench off the coast of Guam, the plastics found in penguins on Antarctica. Push all their buttons and point out the electronics forced obsolescence, the technical obsolescence, and keep hammering on the Right to Repair, and the need for reform of copyright law and other things to better facilitate proper reverse engineering where you don't have to go to the dark web and sketchy places to find documentation on how to fix certain products. We should be able to keep stuff running for decades rather than months.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-16

You can’t make an inspection appointment?  Standing in line now is ridiculous and a huge waste of time.  They should be more accommodating.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-16

People have found a workaround for poorly made still or video camera, their phones.  All digital, no film required and they actually last a while.  When a phone needs replacing, you aren’t starting over again with a completely different device. There is some carryover in terms of software and knowledge of the system.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-16

I think you are missing a key component in that. They are against plastics that make people’s lives easier, like single use plastic bags or take out containers or straws, but they are in cahoots with tech, so they would never actually do anything that would cause Big Tech to lose profits.

If they were open say, from 5 PM until 10 PM it would be easy to do.

Then they can't do inspections in rainy or damp weather because they can't test the brakes effectively on wet pavement - it has to be dry, as they take it up to 20 mph and slam on the brakes as they pass a line, and it has to come to a full stop without crossing a second line. If the pavement is wet most cars will skid past that line, as it more tests tire traction rather than the requirement of the brakes.

So it's really short hours that conflict with work hours. And the same logical fallacy of having really early closing times for grocery stores and hardware stores. It just causes people who really need stuff to have to rush around and maybe take dangerous risks in traffic with aggressive driving to get from work to the place before they close, and a huge crush of people while if they extended the hours they'd achieve far better social distancing instead of taking measures that make it all worse.

Showtalk said:

All digital, no film required and they actually last a while. When a phone needs replacing, you aren’t starting over again with a completely different device. There is some carryover in terms of software and knowledge of the system.

If you can regularly copy / back up your pictures and footage to external media. If you need to replace the phone, it might not be functioning well enough to copy out the data unless you have a time machine to go back to while it was still working to make the backups. Unfortunately most people *still*, some 40 years after the first computing devices showed up in people's homes, do not make proper backups that they control.

And the events of the past couple of weeks doubly underscore why you should NEVER trust the cloud to holding your irreplaceable stuff. Because if you are deemed too undesirable, if your Chinese inspired social credit score drops too low for something you said 4 years ago, they have proved they are quite capable of deleting you.

While it's not a perfect analogy, it just underscores that you should make regular and timely backups, not just because a 3rd party could and does absolutely retaliate against political enemies, but simply because things can break. I've had hard drives just up and quit more than once. I've had USB thumb drives and micro SD cards fail.

My strategy has been to clone all my pictures, recordings, writings, e-books, video captures, and such onto a minimum of 3 separate pieces of independently functioning hardware. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, such as when we had a lightning storm that completely killed one computer, and when a phone just decided it wasn't going to wake up one morning.

This is also why you should regularly export your contact lists to ideally a desktop type PC and then back that up to USB thumb drives and then for good measure also have a backup on a cloud server somewhere. Even if you become a political enemy of the tech giants and they delete your cloud, you have your local backups.

If you don't become an enemy of the tech giants (or they don't discover your thoughtcrime due to having gone dark on social media long ago and not leaving an obvious digital trail as to one's ideology) then you can recover from disaster if all your computers and backups are under 30 feet of sewage laden salt water (New Orleans after Katrina for example), or strewn over 500 square miles mixed with shingles, boards, smashed cars, trees, and other debris from 318 mph wind, such as residents of Moore, Oklahoma experienced 3 times in the past 25 years or so. Or burned to a crisp such as a lot of California residents experienced due to most of the bone-dry vegetation undergoing "violently spreading exothermic rapid oxidation" this past year, complete with fire tornadoes that exceed 2,000 degrees F and reach wind speeds of 200 mph and up.

I presently have several 4 terabyte hard drives in waterproof and fireproof containers that should stay put if wildfire burns over them or they are pelted with tornadic wind driven debris or they end up underwater. I put them in separate containers specifically so that if one is breached, I don't lose everything.

Unfortunately, the new phones are designed explicitly to thwart backing up your contact lists and other information so you can quickly get back up and running with a new phone. It requires having to run spam riddled apps rather than just making a directory visible you can copy elsewhere and have an archive of text messages, pictures, etc. in an industry standard format.

Instead they store things in proprietary formats that are not easy to deal with, and the next model of phone will have a new incompatible proprietary format, again to thwart easy restoration of backed up data.

And if you're really lucky you have to spend hours googling for an app that actually will export your data to, say, a CSV format file or some other common easily read and well documented structure to later import into a new phone.

Because the phone store devices can only copy your stuff over using their proprietary tools if the old phone still works. If it's dead, you're SOL.

Showtalk said:

They are against plastics that make people’s lives easier, like single use plastic bags or take out containers or straws, but they are in cahoots with tech, so they would never actually do anything that would cause Big Tech to lose profits.

Yeah. The kids in Ghana are "The Others" in the monkeysphere of the First World, so they aren't seen as actually human, just "the things that make the dead smart phones and TV sets go away".

Then we could make single use containers or straws quite sustainable rather than misguided outright bans of them (which came home to roost during the pandemic where the need for sanitation suddenly became the elephant in the room).

The way to do that is actually make the logistics of recycling far more practical. That means no more of those composite unrecyclable Starbucks cups - the classic study in hypocrisy of the woke far left - which due to the mix of paper and multiple types of plastics, are economically impossible to separate and re-use.

those ubiquitous PETE type water bottles, actually are the most easily recycled, but not if people have to drive them 175 miles up to the only recycling plant in the region that only takes a maximum of a few pounds of plastic per person and are only open from 10 till 2 on the 4th Wednesday of every month that doesn't have an R in it.

Problem is too many people are lazy, too. Although during the pandemic I have seen fewer plastic WalMart and other bags flapping and shredding on barbed wire fences than I saw 5 years ago. It does look like people are keeping them more out of the environment, but we really need a good place that isn't a major logistical hurdle for most people to dispose of their used plastics. My criteria of a workable recycle setup is - you can get rid of a half ton of accumulated used plastic at 3:30 AM on December 25th with less than a half mile of travel from home, and then another half ton on the 27th and the system is able to accommodate it. When we get to that kind of proper infrastructure, then we will really whip the plastic problem.

The backlash against Big Tech may have finally unleashed a tsunami on about January 7th or so. whether that will become the kind of permanent movement to really rein in the worst practices of forced obsolescence and opaque internal functionality and things like "foistware" is still to be determined. But it did wake up a lot of people that they have waaaay too much power concentrated in the hands of far too few people.

It might take a while but I hope a lot of people regardless of ideology on other things realize the danger of a monopoly or near monopoly on anything that pretty much is needed to function in the modern world. It's an Achile's Heel of the modern world that I've ranted against way back when it started, and maybe the good thing that has happened is it's been a huge wakeup call to at least half the country to not have all their eggs in one basket, and also scrutinize that all the baskets aren't really made by the same manufacturer that has put a secret destruct mechanism baked into the baskets to wipe out all your eggs if they don't like you.

kizmet1

Jan-16

Welcome back. We noticed you were missing.
Re: tv. I have a 12/12 slope to the room the tv is in. I recall older tvs had like problem but not nearly as bad.The flat antnnae just does not work. Furnace goes on and moves it around.Maybe too many nails in the way? I am only 8 miles from towers. Should have great reception.
BTW, I started testing and replacing tv tubes when about 8. My mother took the tubes out and we walked to the grocery store to test and replace.