Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dump SAMSUNG!!   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Dec-5 by kizmet1; 4327 views.

So far, we don't have any real process to recycle things that way here

Showtalk
Host

Feb-13

You don’t recycle?  We used to be required until they found out ended up in the same landfills.

Oh, I try. I have several 55 gallon drums full of crushed cans, awaiting a spike in the price of aluminum to justify  making a long road trip to sell them.

It' not economically viable unless you have enough space to store a LOT of cans and the means to transport them.

And yet there's a huge shortage of aluminum cans due to the virus induced supply chain disruptions.

Showtalk
Host

Feb-13

If anyone has storage and transport for cans, you do. You must drink a lot of coke.

kizmet1

Feb-14

I have a years supply of cans in my car. We have a few bottle drops here but they are hard to get to by bus and there are daily limits on how much can be returned. Lastly, the county serving Portland outlawed stores having bottle drops like in the olden days so all the users go to the other 2 counties. One day I passed 2 men with huge plastic bags falling apart as they walked to the bottle drop a mile away so I gave them my spare garbage bag I put food into. Not nearly big enough.
  • Edited February 14, 2021 7:54 pm  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Host

Feb-14

Our markets can’t take in recycling because of covid but outdoor approved sites can.

kizmet1

Feb-14

We have big and little places. Little are like garage. Few and far between.
WALTER784

Feb-15

Showtalk said...

You don’t recycle?  We used to be required until they found out ended up in the same landfills.

Japan is very big on recycling...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_in_Japan

Depending on the area where you live in Japan and the types of recycling centers they have in the area, the recycling rules vary slightly, but for the most part, they've been able to turn a profit from a majority of their recycling! For those areas where recycling is not as profitable, they export those materials to China, Thailand or other places which will recycle it cheaper due to their cheaper labor costs.

For example, Japan performs a good majority of plastic recycling, but the final recycling of the processed plastic material is sent to Thailand and they turn those partially recycled products into carpets, curtains, etc. Then Japan imports those rugs/curtains and sells them. It's a win-win for everybody!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Feb-15

I used a little place and was the only one who showed up.  They don’t get a lot of recycling during covid.

Showtalk
Host

Feb-15

It’s a useful industry if the amount recycled can be used. The U.S. produces so much it can’t possibly use all the plastic we have. Aluminum is still on the scarce side and is all used as far as I know.