Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cannot Start My Furnace But Get Spam   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Dec-12 by kizmet1; 4139 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
kizmet1

Dec-15

Whew. Furnace problem diagnosed.
Different gas co tech came out today. Really on the ball.
I have a gas furnace that does not use a chimney. It's residue turns to liquid and drips from a plastic tube about the diameter of a cardboard tube inside paper towels. Apparently, the plastic is cracked and is leaking liquid into the furnace mechanism. He suggested an elbow on the tube would be the best solution.
I was very prepared. I sat by the furnace while waiting for the tech to come and took notes everytime it went on and then off. I also showed him a picture of my thermostat. He said they last forever.
Will cost at least $100 but it is cheaper than huddling by an electric heater all winter.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-15

So it is easily fixable and not too expensive, vs having to replace it.

What a relief that must be!

Electric space heaters will run your electric bill up I would think.  Does it?

kizmet1

Dec-16

Right. Labor will be the expensive part, I think. How much could a piece of PVC pipe cost?
kizmet1

Dec-16

I have not used an electric heater since I move here. The furnace in the old house gave out as I was moving. I slept in one room with an electric radiator while packing up the rest of the house.

Oh ok, I was just curious if they do run the bills up.

"Will cost at least $100 but it is cheaper than huddling by an electric heater all winter."

I was just going by this.  It sounded like you had one & had used it before.

kizmet1

Dec-16

I like electric radiators for emergencies as they are safer but I have not used one in this house so I am not sure where they are or it I lost them in the flood.
In reply toRe: msg 33
kizmet1

Dec-16

Th story has turned into a bad dream. Two techs misdiagnosed problem.
I need a new furnace. It was originally installed wrong. Supposed to be tilted. Leak was from tube accidentally disconnected. PVC pipe not cracked.

Oh dear a flood.  How long ago was that?  It must have been a large one to lose space heaters like that.

Well it did have a good life since it was installed in 99.  That was my second guess.  Today it will be big bucks to get a good one.  Sorry to hear that.