Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you overweight?   The Nurturing You: Feel Good, Fun and Helpful Polls

Started Jan-8 by Showtalk; 3814 views.
me (DENNIS4927)

Feb-10

More giggles per wiggles/ more bounce per ounce/ more cushion for pushing
I've always heard
Showtalk
Host

Feb-10

That could all be true.

kizmet1

Feb-10

LOL.
Just more of a dear to hear.
In reply toRe: msg 3
Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

"Lose weight" is too vague a resolution. If people said their goal was to lose X pounds in a reasonable time frame (ie a pound per week) and HOW they were going to do it (start eating breakfast, eat actual portions instead of upsizing, cut back on unnecessary fats, exercise by walking or something that doesn't necessitate going to a gym), then they would lose weight. Fad diets don't work and some can actually be dangerous. And it's not about the total number of pounds; it's about the ratio of fat to muscle. If you are "comfortable" with carrying an excess of 20 lbs or more, your heart is not comfortable with the strain put on it.
Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

Your waste started to explode? ROFL; am sure that was an unintended but I got such a laugh thanks for that!

And congrats to you on such healthy lifestyle changes! I don't eat either beef or pork, nor do I fry anything; I don't drink alcohol or soda, and my weight is within 5 pounds of where it should be. Blood pressure and cholesterol are great too. Metabolism DOES slow down after age 40 and people need to adjust their eating habits but its so much easier to just buy bigger size clothes isn't it.

WALTER784

Mar-4

Risa (Risa25) said...

Your waste started to explode? ROFL; am sure that was an unintended but I got such a laugh thanks for that!

I doubt that was a spelling checquer {purposeful misspell} correction error... (* LOL *)

Initially, I didn't understand what you were talking about until I went back and read the post again... thanks for noticing the awful grammar!!!  (* CHUCKLE *) Now how did that happen? Sometimes my brain and my fingers just don't sync up!!!

Note: I went back and corrected the spelling.

Risa (Risa25) said...

Metabolism DOES slow down after age 40 and people need to adjust their eating habits but its so much easier to just buy bigger size clothes isn't it.

Ahhhhh... but the easy way is not necessarily the healthiest...

If you work to keep or bring back your waste/waist (* CHUCKLE *) size the way it was... no need to buy bigger clothing!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

Fad diets are in right now, but they are all just old diets that have been renamed.  I know several who are on Keto and who have basically given up carbs and sweets.  Since desserts are often what packs on pounds, they are dieting without calling it that.  They have cut caloric intake.  That diet also suggests eating only one meal a day which again is going to cause weight loss due to lack of calories.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

But then it’s not funny anymore.

Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

Keto sounds too much like ketones, which your liver produces when you don't have enough insulin in your body to process glucose (sugar) which is why it can be dangerous. Ketoacidosis can occur when your body produces too high levels of ketones, which can send you into a diabetic coma. You need SOME carbohydrates because your body uses them as fuel. Definitely not a healthy way to lose weight.

Spell check only corrects misspelled words but unfortunately not the wrong words spelled correctly--waste for waist, bare for bear, pour for pore...the best one I've ever seen was this post: "I was so upset I started balling." Hopefully she meant BAWLING lol!

Oops this was supposed to be a reply to Showtalk, my bad

Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

If you eat one meal a day, you may not lose weight because your body is starved for fuel and your metabolism will slow down to conserve fat. Before we had amenities like freezers and refrigerators, and ready access to food 365 days a year, people ate what they could find and experienced periods of famine. So we evolved to store body fat for those lean times--the body doesn't know that it's dieting; it thinks OMG there's not enough food so it stores the fat instead of burning it. Again, a foolish way to try to lose weight and sure to fail because you'll be so hungry all the time.
It's not just desserts that pack on pounds; it's not knowing what an actual serving size is and portions that are enough to feed three people being eaten by one person. It's eating too fast, while on the go, so ignoring the hormone called leptin that lets you know when you're full. And desserts don't have to be empty calories; you can have fruit or a serving of custard (pudding) for the dairy portion of your meal. As I've said, I bake, but my muffins are perhaps half the size of the huge ones you can buy at the market. It's about serving size and portion control. If you want to count calories, the daily number for a woman is about 1500-1800 and 2000 for a man. Most people eat way more than that.