Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Diet Cola and Eyesight   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jan-23 by kizmet1; 1550 views.
kizmet1

Jan-27

You know, you have your opinions but you do not say how your health is or how much you weigh, if you smoke, or if you use drugs to function. All you say is you like sweets. Good for you. The sugar market can use people like you.
WALTER784

Jan-27

Showtalk said...

It’s overall western diets with high fats and sugars, and loaded with salt that cause a majority of illnesses

Yes... those ingredients cause not only a majority of illnesses, but the high fats and sugars also cause obesity as well. Likewise, portions served in the US are much larger than those served in other Asian countries. So it's not just the ingredients, but also the average volume of foods served as well.

Showtalk said...

I’ve heard in Japan people walk much more than they typically do here.

Yes, but I believe that's mainly due to the transportation systems available in Japan. Tokyo is a city of 12 million people in the evening and 17 million people during the day. That means that 5 million people commute into Tokyo daily. They use trains, buses, subways, etc. And the walks to and from the station, the walking up and down stairs transferring train lines, etc. which they do daily going to work and returning home from work.

Showtalk said...

Japanese beef is incredibly expensive and even when dishes serve meat, it’s in much smaller quantities

Japan does have some very expensive beefs, but not all beef is that expensive. But most meats (beef, pork, chicken and fish) have no where near the fat as what you will find in most grocery stores throughout the US.

As for the smaller quantities... absolutely! I have many Japanese friends who come to the US, order a meal, and end up leaving 1/3rd or 1/4th of it on the plate because the volume is just too much. Most of them don't like to leave food on their plates, but their stomachs aren't used to the average volumes served and thus have no choice but to leave some. Likewise, the waiters/waitresses often asked them if there was anything wrong with the meal because they left so much on the plate, but they reluctantly reply that it was delicious, just too much!

And finally, when these Japanese meet up with American business partners and go out for dinner. Not only do the Japanese leave a good portion on their plates, but all the Americans have dessert... and the size of that dessert is also 2 to 3 times larger than a Japanese dessert in restaurants and the American desserts are also too sweet for most of them. Thus after everybody is done eating their main meal, not only is a portion of the meal left on the Japanese plates, but none of them order dessert either.

We, as Americans have for the better part of our lives, gotten used to the larger average volume of food 3 times a day. And those larger volumes of food are also packed with a lot more calories than the average Japanese foods (in smaller portions) as well.

There are obese people in Japan, but they are only a small minority.

Showtalk said...

I bought authentic Asian desserts at the local Asian market. They are barely sweetened. Some are delicious, others aren’t worth the calories.

I guess that depends on what whets one's taste buds. Most traditional Japanese desserts use either a natural sweetener or light on the sugar.

FWIW

WALTER784

Jan-27

kizmet1 said...

You know, you have your opinions but you do not say how your health is or how much you weigh, if you smoke, or if you use drugs to function.

I'm 6'3/4" and weigh 174 lbs. I smoke cigarettes (like I've been doing for the past 43 years). I use no drugs what so ever (either legal or illegal) for any reason. BMI (Body Mass Index) should be between 18.5 ~ 24.9 and it is 23.3 which is normal for my height & weight. Cholesterol and blood tests are all 'A'. My only health issue is my left ear recently has had trouble hearing sounds in the 4000Hz range. Other than that... I'm healthy as a bean! Even though I do smoke cigarettes, no asthma or other breathing related problems what so ever.

kizmet1 said...

All you say is you like sweets.

I don't crave sweets nor do I have a sweet tooth, but what sweets I do eat... they use natural sugar and no substitutes. Sugar cane sugar, brown sugar, etc.

FWIW

• Edited January 27, 2021 8:05 pm  by  WALTER784
kizmet1

Jan-27

Good except for smoking, more people should be like you.
WALTER784

Jan-27

kizmet1 said...

Good except for smoking, more people should be like you.

Well, the should... and can be... but it requires a plan, a will do carry through with it... and then the due diligence to complete the task.

First of all, find out your average daily caloric intake. If if fluctuates from day to day, find an average over 3 or 4 days. Pay particular attention to the amount of carbs you eat per day and drop it by 100 each week until you've brought your calories down to a normal level.

Increase your vegetable intake, reduce your meat intake and stay away from fatty/greasy foodstuffs and reduce your junk food intake drastically.

Exercise regularly.

FWIW

kizmet1

Jan-28

Pretty much my way of eating for many years due to hypoglycemia. Weight goes up and down depending on auto accidents. I eat fish and poultry because I prefer them. Don 't think I have had beef or pork in my house in the 25+ years I have lived here.
WALTER784

Jan-28

kizmet1 said...

I eat fish and poultry because I prefer them. Don 't think I have had beef or pork in my house in the 25+ years I have lived here.

No problem what so ever with a fish and poultry diet what so ever.

When I turned 40 (22 years ago), I gained 30 pounds. I limited my diet to fish only (blue colored fish to be more specific) until I lost that 30 pounds again. Blue colored fish are: Tuna, Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Bonito, Yellow tail, Amberjack, Sardines, Herring, etc. Not only are they healthy, but they have a lot of DHA (good for your brain) and easily digestible oils in them.

FWIW

kizmet1

Jan-28

I grew up on shellfish, salmon, trout so that is what I eat. Never see bluefish in the stores.
WALTER784

Jan-28

kizmet1 said...

Never see bluefish in the stores.

It's bluish colored... perhaps a little silverish-blue...

FWIW