Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What's Wrong with Wind and Solar?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 2/22/21 by WALTER784; 17873 views.
BillShiphr

Dec-21

Well, even though it's not the cheapest, I believe that it's worth it because it reduces the electricity bill, and you won't experience power-offs and use Battery inverters every time. I believe it's a pretty good investment, and you won't truly understand it unless you install solar panels on your house.

• Edited January 29, 2022 9:29 pm  by  Showtalk
WALTER784

Dec-21

BillShiphr said...

I believe that it's worth it because it reduces the electricity bill, and you won't experience power-offs and use [removed spam link] every time. I believe it's a pretty good investment, and you won't truly understand it unless you install solar panels on your house.

Well, from somebody who already has solar panels installed:

I can say that it does help offset the electricity bill, but the battery inverters would have cost an additional $12,000 and thus I opted to go for the sell the generated but unused electricity back to the power company option. 

There were two types of solar when I installed mine... store unused energy in batteries which are expensive and need to be occasionally replaced. It's the manufacturing and unrecyclability of these batteries that cause quite a bit of harm to our environment.

As I sell back my unused electricity, it really offsets my electric costs.

But what we must not forget is that during the hours that the sun is not shining, I still require power from the electric company. And that electricity producing company cannot go all electric. And there in is the catch 22 in plans by current government to go all green energy. It just isn't possible in today's day and age.

So used to offset costs... yes... used to replace current fossil fuels... a big no!

And that's from somebody who truly understands it because I have them installed on my own roof!

FWIW

• Edited January 29, 2022 9:29 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

Dec-22

The initial cost is steep.

WALTER784

Dec-25

And on a larger scale... like the Green New Deal is attempting to build into our infrastructure, there will be numerous problems.

These two articles are just a few...

California Scrambles to Find Electricity to Offset Plant Closures - WSJ

And...

California to Build 8 Coal-Fired Power Plants (gishgallop.com)

Bottom line: It's not sustainable in the near future! And until then gas and coal energy production will be required!

FWIW

In reply toRe: msg 41
WALTER784

Dec-28

4 of these diesel engines are required to power a ship...

Exceptional Engineering | Mega Diesel Engine | Free Documentary

How in the world do they plan to replace these engines with solar or wind power?

FWIW

• Edited January 12, 2022 2:21 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jan-8

I thought they were shutting down the coal industry.

WALTER784

Jan-9

Showtalk said...

I thought they were shutting down the coal industry.

They thought they were shutting the coal industry down too, but they're finally beginning to realize what the rest of the world has been saying all along... you cannot just stop coal, oil & gas production because too many things in the industry today still require coal, oil & gas. One of them, the production of electricity.

They need electricity and cannot produce enough with wind/solar and as they're shutting down one nuclear facility this year and another one next year, coal is the only other viable option available today. Either that or multiple brown/black outs for quite a few metropolises.

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Jan-12

Just got a solar quote for our house.  2300/2400 square feet.  $80,000!  Comes with a $30,000 tax credit that would take me 300 years to use up.  That's unbelievable!

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-12

Jeri (azpaints) said...

Just got a solar quote for our house.  2300/2400 square feet.  $80,000!  Comes with a $30,000 tax credit that would take me 300 years to use up.  That's unbelievable!

$80,000 (6.5 times what I paid for mine)... wow... that's unbelievably expensive.

Even if you reduce the $30,000 tax credit it would still be $50,000 (over 4 times what I paid for mine).

My whole solar system only cost $12,000.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jan-12

Now you are starting to see why I’m so skeptical of solar.