Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is the pandemic ruining your body?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Mar-1 by Showtalk; 1520 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Mar-1

Is the pandemic ruining your body?
  • Yes, I'm not getting enough exercise3  votes
    14%
  • Yes, I'm not getting outside enough0  votes
    0%
  • 1 and 26  votes
    28%
  • Yes, I'm not seeing the doctor as often as I should0  votes
    0%
  • 1, 2 and 41  vote
    4%
  • Yes, I'm too isolated2  votes
    9%
  • Yes, I have more headaches, muscle strain or other pains than I did before1  vote
    4%
  • Some other combination of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 73  votes
    14%
  • No, I'm as healthy and feeling as well as I did before isolation3  votes
    14%
  • No, I'm not isolated and have not changed my routine2  votes
    9%
  • I don't know or I'm not sure0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, I'm not getting enough exercise 
Yes, I'm not getting outside enough 
1 and 2 
Yes, I'm not seeing the doctor as often as I should 
1, 2 and 4 
Yes, I'm too isolated 
Yes, I have more headaches, muscle strain or other pains than I did before 
Some other combination of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 
No, I'm as healthy and feeling as well as I did before isolation 
No, I'm not isolated and have not changed my routine 
I don't know or I'm not sure 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Mar-1

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Mar-1

If you are exercising, what are you doing?

WALTER784

Mar-2

Walking, sit-ups, bend over and stretches I used to do in elementary school (touch your toes, touch the side of your thighs, etc.)

And of course, going to the local pool for weekend exercises. Sauna, free style swimming and walking in the water.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-2

Our pools were closed. I’m not sure if they are opened yet or not.  I’m walking and using equipment I have here, but I’m still not getting out as much as imwould like to.  I sit online too much.

WALTER784

Mar-3

Showtalk said...

I sit online too much.

LOL... Most of us do.

When teleworking, I don't have the 3-hour round-trip commute to and from work (1.5 hours one way)!

And most of that is spent online now! (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-3

When you are commuting, even you are sitting while traveling, there is also a lot of extra walking we don’t even think about.

• Edited March 3, 2021 12:09 pm  by  Showtalk
WALTER784

Mar-3

Showtalk said...

When you are commuting, even you are sitting while traveling, there is also a lot of extra walking we don’t even think about.

Oh, I'm very aware and always thinking about it.

3 stairs down from my front door to the driveway.

5 stairs up to the train station entrance. Then another 33 stairs up to the platform before I get in the train and another 15 to 20 steps to an empty seat where I sit down in the train.

Then 15 to 20 steps to get back out of the train. Another 50 or 60 steps to get to the escalator. That takes me non-stop from the B5 floor to the B3 floor. Then another 40 steps or so to the next escalator that takes me from the B3 to the B1 floor. Followed by another 220 steps or so on the B1 floor to transfer to the local subway entrance which is another 8 or 10 stairs down to the entrance. Once in the subway entrance, it's another 30 or 40 stairs down to the platform before I sit again on the subway.

When I finally arrive at my final destination, I have to walk up another 70 or so stairs to get to ground level and then another 400 steps or so from the subway exit to my company's building.

Once inside the company building, we have a rule... "2 up - 3 down"! What that means is that my company's building has 6 floors. I work on the 6th floor so if I'm going from the 1st floor up to the 6th, I can ride the elevator. But if I want to go from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor... that's "1 up" and thus must take the stairs. From the 1st to the 3rd floor is also "2 up" and thus must take the stairs. So If I want to ride the elevator going up, it has to be 3 or more floors up... otherwise I take the stairs. Same for going down except it's 3 down and not 2!

So internally, if I go from the 6th floor to the 3rd floor... that's 3 down and thus walk, etc. And then even on the same floor, we walk to the toilets, walk to the vending machines, walk to the printer to pickup something you printed, walk to the meeting room (many times on a different floor), etc.

And then for lunch, we have to walk out to a nearby restaurant and that too adds quite a few steps. On the way home, I want to stop by my local watering hole (English Pub) which adds a bit more walking and then back on the train home again.

I used to have the belt clip fastened walking counter that counted the number of steps you took. I would zero-ize it in the morning and then look at the total number of steps I walked that day. On average it was 7,000 to 10,000 steps.

I don't know what I did with that step counter because last time I used it was more than 10 years ago, but I would be willing to say that while teleworking... I don't think I even make it to 2,000 steps per day. To-from the toilet, to-from the fridge, to-from the front door for a cigarette, to-from the mailbox... and then the occasional walk around the block!

So my walking has definitely decreased!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

Step counters have become smart phones or fitness trackers. Or I should say those devices have replaced step counters.  Stairs and hills are the best walking exercise. Stairs because you can get all your exercise in one building. Hills because they are often gradual grades so you can get a lot of resistance in without realizing it.

WALTER784

Mar-5

Yes, hills and steps are good, but walking in water also adds resistance as well.

FWIW