Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should Dr. Seuss books be banned?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Mar-3 by Showtalk; 1436 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Mar-3

Should Dr. Seuss books be banned?
  • Yes, he was a racist and all his books should be banned0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, but only the objectionable books should be banned1  vote
    2%
  • No, the offensive books should be edited to current acceptable wording2  votes
    5%
  • No, the offensive books should not be reprinted anymore but not banned2  votes
    5%
  • No, the books show acceptable practices of the time written7  votes
    19%
  • No, this is all political and unimportant24  votes
    66%
  • I don't have an opinion0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, he was a racist and all his books should be banned 
Yes, but only the objectionable books should be banned 
No, the offensive books should be edited to current acceptable wording 
No, the offensive books should not be reprinted anymore but not banned 
No, the books show acceptable practices of the time written 
No, this is all political and unimportant 
I don't have an opinion 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Mar-3

His stepdaughter says yes, for now, but said he was not a racist.  She’s hopes the books will eventually come back, although didn’t say how.  Maybe they can be edited.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

Mar-3

Book burning, that's all it is.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

I looked into it because I didn’t remember, and there are some outdated images and words. Some are highly offensive.  But they could easily pull them from production without saying a word or they could change the wording or images to reflect the times.  It’s very strange since Read Across America was named after him, and people on all side of the political aisle have praised him in the past. It can do great damage to Read Across America.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

Mar-4

I don't care if all of Dr. Seuss books are racist, which they are not.  You don't ban - burn books.  If you don't like it, don't read it, but you don't ban or change the wording.

Americans are so much under mind control, that most are turning into mindless zombies.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-4

Many are and others don’t seem to know how to resist it, or don’t have the will to fight.  It’s interesting those who want to promote freedom of the press are against free speech for all.  Those books are quite outdated and are not even read all that much anymore, so all the ban did was make them more popular. Beyond what is in the books, all the ban did was boost sales.  You might find this humorous.

Dr. Seuss books are NINE of the top 10 best-selling titles on Amazon

The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, and Green Eggs and Ham are among the bestselling books on Amazon on Thursday despite controversy over racist stereotypes.

Marci (marcinmin)

Mar-4

the books are a product of their time & the publisher made the decision LAST YEAR to stop printing some of them. So ridiculous that some people are trying to use a private company's decision as a political statement - funny that it took this long before someone noticed and started screaming.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-5

I think so too.  All sides are using it, which is ridiculous but also humorous.  

Showtalk said:

She’s hopes the books will eventually come back, although didn’t say how. Maybe they can be edited.

Unedited ones will be pirated, especially now that Ebay yanked all of them. People are saying that anything that is taken off the market should immediately lapse into the pubic domain as the copyright holders have abandoned the works.

Now trying to find that cartoon someone put up. It shows a pile of Dr Seuss books being thrown on a bonfire. Those throwing them are wearing swastika armbands on brown shirts. The backs of the shirts all have the logos of Ebay, Amazon, and such on them.

I'm also finding numerous references to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

The "firemen" are hard at work.

Marci (marcinmin) said:

funny that it took this long before someone noticed and started screaming

They noticed when his birthday and the literacy day came about, and people were already primed for a new lightning rod to strike. March 2nd came around, which raised that particular thing to the "tallest tree on the golf course" in the middle of an ongoing culture war storm.

So just like someone raising an umbrella or a golf club over their head on a golf course in Florida in the midst of a thunderstorm, that book suite became the new target. The fact the decision was made months earlier really didn't matter that much, as when a storm brews, often the lightning strike target is one of opportunity.