Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you side with the NCAA business model or the players?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Jun-21 by Showtalk; 4533 views.
Showtalk said:

First movie ticket prices went way up. I used to pay no more than $5 a ticket. Then it jumped up to $13 with no discount for days or times. Matinees used to be very inexpensive. Then content changed

I remember seeing movies for only about 50 cents admission per person when I was a kid. I remember paying $1.50 to se a midnight showing of Star Trek - The Motion Picture - where they got the original 1966 cast together.

Then things kept creeping up. It cost over $5 a few years later to see "Scrooged" over Thanksgiving in 1988.

And then later, I quit going to see movies for all the reasons you listed.

Not only the cost, but the plain old hassle factor. It was the whole no outside food or drink policy being more strongly enforced by theaters that likely hit my tipping point, combined with movies turning into 2 hour long radical left wing propaganda pieces.

I really can't identify the straw that broke the camel's back, or any single watershed event that made me turn my back on the entertainment industry as a whole, but it was more like a steady drip-drip-drip of little irritants which made the experience no longer pleasurable. Then one day it was like "While I never bothered to keep track of it, I think it's been a full decade since I last saw a new movie". And then "you know, the last movies I really enjoyed were those made from the 1930s through the late 1970s, and a few in the 1980s, but since the 1990s I don't even know much about most of them."

WALTER784

Jul-25

I remember paying $3 some odd ~ $4 some odd for a movie back in the 70's... but it was never over $5.

I remember going to drive in theathers as well, but don't remember what the cost was back then.

FWIW

In the early 1970s, when Cheech and Chong did their "Pedro and the Man at the Drive-In" skit, where they had the extra folks sneaking in by riding in the trunk, it was 50 cents a head. They nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i674e6f47R0

In case you haven't heard it. It is still a hilarious skit when one lets their inner middle school locker room self out to laugh till his sides ache for a while. Guaranteed to have plenty of politically incorrect innuendos and references from a bygone era from before cancel culture came to power. Probably contains stuff that would offend the likes of AOC and her squad, too. Enjoy before they figure out what it's about and take it all down.

WALTER784

Jul-25

I looks like they've pulled that one you quoted a link to, but yes... I remember listening to Cheech and Chong back in the mid 70's on the radio quite a bit when I was in high school.

Who cares what politicians think about them today... Cheech and Chong are funny... politicians are not! So screw them!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-26

I brought food in my bag.

Workingguy2

Jul-29

What time did you get out of school?grinning

WALTER784

Jul-29

Workingguy2 said...

What time did you get out of school?

LOL...

The time was Jun 1976!!! (* BIG GRIN *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-30

The year or the time? Usually around 3 pm.

I was more worried about getting caught - but it was the whole principle of a business model built upon greed. Charging $4 for a Coke I could easily get for 50 cents at WalMart, was what I saw as highway robbery.

.And just like my experience with the first vehicle I ever bought, on the "advice" of various folks, at a dealership, I have never darkened the door of such a place again in the subsequent 35 years or so, because I saw how dealerships are a ripoff and then some.

The service department was quickly seen as an even bigger rip-off. Once I got away from that bunch, I never got a newer vehicle again, and it's been well over 3 decades. I will be proud to go to my grave without ever having purchased a new car or anything too new to work on myself.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-6

Good luck. They want to get rid of gas powered cars and trucks by 2030.