Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

College Degree? (See next post for de...   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Aug-10 by WALTER784; 8773 views.
WALTER784

Poll Question From WALTER784

Aug-10

College Degree? (See next post for details)
  • None7  votes
    30%
  • Associate degree4  votes
    17%
  • Bachelor's degree4  votes
    17%
  • Master's degree6  votes
    26%
  • Doctorate degree1  vote
    4%
  • Professional degree0  votes
    0%
  • Other1  vote
    4%
None 
Associate degree 
Bachelor's degree 
Master's degree 
Doctorate degree 
Professional degree 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784

Aug-10

College Degrees

Associate degree
– Includes Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.) and Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)

Bachelor’s degree
– Includes Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)

Master’s degree
– Includes Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.) and Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Doctorate degree
– Includes Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)

Professional degree
– Includes Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) and Juris Doctor (J.D.)

FWIW

In reply toRe: msg 2
WALTER784

Aug-10

College Degree Discrimination

In a recent op-ed in the Washington Post, Byron Auguste asks an important question. Why do so many employers “require” a college degree? He is a perfect person to ask this question because he is black and extremely well-educated.

Companies all over this country are scrambling to find talent and address the perceived “skills gap” and the obvious “labor shortages.” Those companies are prevented from discriminating against applicants based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, or disability. But they do discriminate against the two-thirds of Americans who do not have a bachelor’s degree.

He tells the story of his father who left his job as a factory shipping clerk to study computer programming for six months. He never worked in an office and dropped out of college. But the company allowed him to shadow a colleague on the job, tested his skills, and hired him as a junior programmer. That launched his family into the American middle class.

His father faced discrimination as a black man in 1971. But the lack of a college degree didn’t stand in his way because the company saw his potential and allowed him to succeed. It is unlikely his father would have the same opportunity today.

FWIW
Showtalk
Host

Aug-11

A college degree today is like a high school diploma and people with college or advanced degrees have a much higher lifetime earning potential. Someone with skills can succeed but overall certain fields still require them.

and it's been that way for all races, colors, and creeds for a while. The barriers to entry into a living wage kind of position, one where someone might be able to afford a home suitable for raising a family or even building some financial security by not being trapped in the endless renter cycle, keep rising. And now the American Dream is out of reach of probably more than 51% of today's population under the age of 35 or so.

This is the bitter harvest of dumbing down of the public schools over the past 4 decades where a university degree today is needed to just develop the skillsets that you or I learned in high school.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-11

Facebook and Google pay very well.

Showtalk said:

Facebook and Google pay very well.

and they are rather picky about who they hire, from what I hear. Those without a degree in a STEM major need not apply.

Getting on at Fakebook or Google is likely much tougher than getting into West Point or Annapolis or the Air Force Academy

WALTER784

Aug-12

Showtalk said...

A college degree today is like a high school diploma and people with college or advanced degrees have a much higher lifetime earning potential. Someone with skills can succeed but overall certain fields still require them.

Current vote results show:

None 2 votes (29%)
Associate degree 2 votes (29%)
Bachelor's degree 1 votes (14%)
Master's degree 1 votes (14%)
Doctorate degree 1 votes (14%)
Professional degree 0 votes (0%)
Other 0 votes (0%)

I've heard from several friends who have employed those right out of college with degrees. And they all say about the same thing. Those with degrees immediately mistakenly think that they're going to get middle management positions from their first day on the job.

Many of them are surprised to find out that they have to work their way up the ladder just like everybody else.

Depending on the company you work for... or want to work for... having a degree may get you in the door, but it doesn't guarantee you much else.

As a college grad, most kids have virtually no experience. Others in those companies probably also have similar degrees, but everybody usually has to start at or very near the bottom unless your father is the president or you have connections. Pay can and will vary depending on the degree as well, but most people have to prove their worth before they can move up.

BTW: I'm one of the 2 with no college degree. I joined the Navy right after I got out of high school, spent 4 years onboard ship so there was my initial OJT with experience. And since then, my skills and accomplishments have allowed me to move from one company to the next with high evaluations at each.

I'm now retired and thus don't even need to worry about it any more.

But I think a lot more companies require a degree today than they did 44 years ago.

FWIW

WALTER784

Aug-12

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

The barriers to entry into a living wage kind of position, one where someone might be able to afford a home suitable for raising a family or even building some financial security by not being trapped in the endless renter cycle, keep rising. And now the American Dream is out of reach of probably more than 51% of today's population under the age of 35 or so.

This is the bitter harvest of dumbing down of the public schools over the past 4 decades where a university degree today is needed to just develop the skillsets that you or I learned in high school.

I'm serious about this, but flipping burgers at McDonald's can start you on a good career path. You start working part time while in high school or college. You get qualified for various different equipment in the restaurant (coffee maker, shake machine, potato fryer, buns toaster, drink machine, cash register, etc.) Getting qualified for everything gets you a chance as a swing manager and perhaps even store manager. Then they teach you about leadership and handling various employee situations, hiring, firing, creating staff schedules, etc. 

You might be surprised at how many famous people are former burger flippers...

McDonald's Famous Former Burger Flippers

https://finance.yahoo.com/photos/mcdonald-s-famous-former-burger-flippers-slideshow.html

FWIW

WALTER784

Aug-12

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Getting on at Fakebook or Google is likely much tougher than getting into West Point or Annapolis or the Air Force Academy

Yep... and they already know whether you're conservative or liberal and thus the conservatives will not be chosen.

FWIW