Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New waste laws planned. Do you agree? (SNP)   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-25 by Showtalk; 5630 views.

It will cost more in other areas due to regulatory compliance costs, that dwarf whatever benefits come from such regulations.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-1

It may never happen in spite of the laws passed. They may rely instead on voluntary compliance.

Or a whole bunch of social pressure - e.g. cancel culture, ratting people out, shaming, and of course the usual dox and destroy their livelihoods.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/stop-firing-innocent/613615/
caution - uses one of only 3 views per month to direct click through. Download without viewing to hard drive - usually right click, save link - and then view the copy on the hard drive.

What happened to Emmanuel Cafferty is an especially egregious example. At the end of a long shift mapping underground utility lines, he was on his way home, his left hand casually hanging out the window of the white pickup truck issued to him by the San Diego Gas & Electric company. When he came to a halt at a traffic light, another driver flipped him off.

Then, Cafferty told me a few days ago, the other driver began to act even more strangely. He flashed what looked to Cafferty like an “okay” hand gesture and started cussing him out. When the light turned green, Cafferty drove off, hoping to put an end to the disconcerting encounter.

But when Cafferty reached another red light, the man, now holding a cellphone camera, was there again. “Do it! Do it!” he shouted. Unsure what to do, Cafferty copied the gesture the other driver kept making. The man appeared to take a video, or perhaps a photo.

Two hours later, Cafferty got a call from his supervisor, who told him that somebody had seen Cafferty making a white-supremacist hand gesture, and had posted photographic evidence on Twitter. (Likely unbeknownst to most Americans, the alt-right has appropriated a version of the “okay” symbol for their own purposes because it looks like the initials for “white power”; this is the symbol the man accused Cafferty of making when his hand was dangling out of his truck.) Dozens of people were now calling the company to demand Cafferty’s dismissal.

By the end of the call, Cafferty had been suspended without pay. By the end of the day, his colleagues had come by his house to pick up the company truck. By the following Monday, he was out of a job.  ...

WALTER784

Sep-2

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Two hours later, Cafferty got a call from his supervisor, who told him that somebody had seen Cafferty making a white-supremacist hand gesture, and had posted photographic evidence on Twitter. (Likely unbeknownst to most Americans, the alt-right has appropriated a version of the “okay” symbol for their own purposes because it looks like the initials for “white power”; this is the symbol the man accused Cafferty of making when his hand was dangling out of his truck.) Dozens of people were now calling the company to demand Cafferty’s dismissal.

By the end of the call, Cafferty had been suspended without pay. By the end of the day, his colleagues had come by his house to pick up the company truck. By the following Monday, he was out of a job.  ...

Yep... cancel culture tactics...

But they eventually will fail as their cancel tactics seem to be taking out a lot of their own team members!

So it will only be a certain amount of time before they cancel themselves out!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-2

That sounds so unlikely is it really even true?  Why would someone go to that much trouble to trick someone they don’t know into doing something they would never do?

WALTER784

Sep-2

Showtalk said...

That sounds so unlikely is it really even true?  Why would someone go to that much trouble to trick someone they don’t know into doing something they would never do?

Really?

How many got vaccines to prevent getting Covid?

Did it prevent them from getting Covid?

How many got vaccines to prevent the serious side effects of Covid?

Did it prevent them from getting serious side effects of Covid?

I now revert you back to your original question!!!

And think very very very hard before you reply!

This isn't a trick question... it's a reality question!

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

But they eventually will fail as their cancel tactics seem to be taking out a lot of their own team members! So it will only be a certain amount of time before they cancel themselves out!

Eventually, but the collateral damage is going to be immense. Cancel culture is an out of control weapon of mass destruction. While it eventually gets their own team, it will inflict a LOT of damage on innocent bystanders. Kind of like some cult releasing Sarin nerve gas on a subway. It might eventually take out one of them, but it takes out a lot of people just going about their business first, and inflicts far more damage on the public at large than the perps.

Really I think people who do that kind of cancel culture should be treated like domestic terrorists..

And evidently, there are finally some lawsuits brewing to go after some of the cancel perps for damages, but that's likely a very long,, slow, uphill battle that only gets justice for a small number of people.

I'm also really surprised that so few cases have not spilled into deadly violence. If someone lost everything and reached the point of perceiving they had nothing to lose, I could easily picture such a person taking a weapon, tracking down the person who set the whole destructive thing in motion, and just killing him or her in cold blood - a revenge killing.

It does show how many people are decent and such and the amazing level of restraint may have - but if someone were hunted down and killed in revenge who had set in motion a cancel culture tsunami, I wouldn't shed any tears for the sorry SOB.

Showtalk said:

Why would someone go to that much trouble to trick someone they don’t know into doing something they would never do?

Because there are people out there who get pleasure finding something to be offended by. They are horse's anus openings in personality.

I noticed in the article that the news folks tracked down the dude who started it, who had deleted his account once the story went public and probably a huge fecal matter storm began to blow his direction.

Sooner or later, someone who does stuff like that will end up recreating the moment that Lee Harvey Oswald met Jack Ruby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUHAVa-kMI

And bang bang bang - and down he goes - it's just a job I do ...

(have that album on vinyl somewhere)

WALTER784

Sep-3

I think people who do that kind of cancel culture should be treated like domestic terrorists..

There are similarities...

I'm also really surprised that so few cases have not spilled into deadly violence. If someone lost everything and reached the point of perceiving they had nothing to lose, I could easily picture such a person taking a weapon, tracking down the person who set the whole destructive thing in motion, and just killing him or her in cold blood - a revenge killing.

I believe that is what they're attempting to provoke... civil unrest!

FWIW

Thing is, they are creating the most dangerous situation possible along the way. An animal that is cornered and has nothing left to lose is the most dangerous of all. So - causing someone to lose an entire livelihood and career is going to make that person incredibly angry.

And it's just a statistical probability that at least one of them is going to devote the rest of his life to make the other person pay. Even the way of extracting that payment is to "go postal". Even if it means sacrificing his own life in a hail of bullets when the SWAT team finally arrives - at least he took the "sum'bich" with him.

So the cancel culture crowd is playing with fire. I am genuinely surprised that there haven't been some headline grabbing cases of deadly vengeance being wreaked as someone who lost everything chooses to go out in a final blaze of glory and act as judge, jury, and executioner.

Surely this kind of thing would push someone off the deep end, past the point of no return. While there have been a few documented suicides over this kind of stuff, it really is a testament as to just how few people are easily pushed into a homicidal rage, from the lack of revenge killings administered to some of the cancel culture ringleaders.

But maybe someone, somewhere, is plotting an Oklahoma City style of revenge as we speak, or quietly stalking a target to redress the wrong.

However, most of the people who actually go on a murderous rampage are what psychologists call "injustice accumulators". Every perceived slight, every time they don't get their way, they just seethe and fume and vow to even the score. And then some day they just snap, and the call goes out for an "active shooter". And when law enforcement and the press talk to the perp's relatives and co-workers, almost universally, they say "he had an anger management problem" or "I said he was gonna go off some day"

And that's a tiny fraction of the population - well into the fraction of a percent of a percent. And cancel culture indiscriminately hits random people, so that the odds of hitting someone already on a hair trigger ready to go off are vanishingly small.

Thus those hit by cancel culture are more like the innocent victims of a culture gone crazy, hit by the random shrapnel of an unguided missile created by the self-righteous twitterverse.

As for that poor fellow who was confronted by that driver - hindsight is 20/20 - he should have called 911 and reported the other driver as harassing him. and turn the tables.