Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What word best describes AOC and her Tax the Rich dress?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-20 by Showtalk; 457 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Sep-20

What word best describes AOC and her Tax the Rich dress?
  • Ostentatious ($30,000 dress at a $35,000/ticket party)2  votes
    18%
  • Stupid (she is one of the elites she hates)1  vote
    9%
  • Hypocritical (dress designer owes $100,000 in unpaid taxes)2  votes
    18%
  • Oblivious (to the real problems facing her constituents)1  vote
    9%
  • Dangerous (further divides people)1  vote
    9%
  • Other, list below and explain why4  votes
    36%
Ostentatious ($30,000 dress at a $35,000/ticket party) 
Stupid (she is one of the elites she hates) 
Hypocritical (dress designer owes $100,000 in unpaid taxes) 
Oblivious (to the real problems facing her constituents) 
Dangerous (further divides people) 
Other, list below and explain why 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Sep-20

I didn’t include additional words because I realized as I wrote it there are hundreds of possibilities. Please add your own if you don’t care for the ones listed.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Sep-20

Voted other. There was a debate on Maher this weekend about this issue and Maher pointed out that the rich are indeed paying taxes and maybe even their share of taxes as per the current tax laws, I think that's a valid point. Conversely Canada's first Prime Minister, John A MacDonald told a joke at Canada's confederation, where in debating the merits of a Senate to protect the rights of minorities MacDonald agreed, saying "I think we should protect the rights of minorities and the rich are a minority" according to legend the room cracked up. 

The question I think that needs to be asked is should the rich bail out the entire country (or countries who adopt similar policies) most rich American celebrities have come out suggesting they should pay more in taxes, so there's that. Personally I favour a sliding scale of taxation where if you make a substantial income you pay substantial taxes, the slides as you go down the income line.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-20

We have had a sliding scale before.  There aren’t enough rich people to bail out the economy. The current spending plans here will have to dip severely into middle incomes to make ends meet.  So while it may sound like a good idea, it’s simplistic and not realistic.  The dress is a whole other issue.  When I found out it cost $30,000 I was amazed.  I could make that exact dress for the cost of the fabric and would be one heck of a lot cheaper than $30,000.

WALTER784

Sep-20

I voted other... 

Reason: All of the ones you mentioned above...

FWIW

Would have voted: All of the above.

Mac

Showtalk
Host

Sep-21

I should have included that. Sometimes when you make a poll you can’t anticipate which direction it will go.

Meriana

Sep-21

Even though ALL of the options would apply, I voted other because  AOC once again showed what she is really about, and what really concerns her......getting noticed, with her name, and photo in the news.  At a very expensive party where many celebrities gather AOC wore a very expensive dress with a "message" that made sure she would be noticed, and photographed perhaps more than the celebrities she was among.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-21

She does like to be the center of attention. Which goes back to the origin of her career, when she auditioned for the role of candidate, and then won.

Alfi (THIALFI)

Sep-21

Other. 1, 2, and 3.