Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What is your favorite Beatles song?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Sep-29 by WALTER784; 2071 views.
WALTER784

Oct-3

Oh yeah... now that's a good one too.

And then there's "Twist & Shout"

FWIW
Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-3

Have you ever looked at their list of songs?  It's huge!  Do you remember what the deal was between their ownership of the songs and Elvis Presley's catalog?  I can't remember but I think one of them bought the rights to all the money from the others songs?

WALTER784

Oct-3

Jeri (azpaints) said...

Do you remember what the deal was between their ownership of the songs and Elvis Presley's catalog?  I can't remember but I think one of them bought the rights to all the money from the others songs?

That battle has been ongoing back and forth numerous times over the past 50 years I think.

This site gives a pretty good history of the entire ordeal:

A Brief History of the Ownership of the Beatles Catalog | Billboard | Billboard

And yes... I've seen the list... it's not an easy read either. In fact, when I go to a Karaoke bar to sing... I have trouble picking one I like to sing because they have so many and I sing quite a lot of them.

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-4

Thanks...it was more complicated than I remembered.  Taylor Swft has apparently found a way around the recording company owning her songs.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-4

It's interesting.  I remember when It was revealed that when a singer released an album, the singer only got pennies from each sale.

WALTER784

Oct-4

Jeri (azpaints) said...

when a singer released an album, the singer only got pennies from each sale.

I remember hearing that way back when, but it was like more than 40 years ago.

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-4

I suspect younger singers have negotiated better deals but Taylor Swift's issues show there is still hanky Panky going on.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-4

Didn’t Michael Jackson buy their songs out from under McCartney? Why did they ever sell?

WALTER784

Oct-4

1985: ATV Music, having been acquired by Robert Holmes a Court, was put up for sale. Michael Jackson, who had famously been told about the value of publishing by McCartney during the sessions for their 1982 collaboration "Say, Say, Say," purchased ATV's 4,000-song catalog for $47.5 million, becoming the owner of the approximately 250 Lennon-McCartney songs, as well as tracks by Bruce Springsteenthe Rolling StonesElvis Presley and more. McCartney, to say the least, was not pleased.

It's all in the history I posted earlier: A Brief History of the Ownership of the Beatles Catalog | Billboard | Billboard

FWIW