Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you in favor of a cashless society’?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 10/8/21 by Showtalk; 3619 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Aug-13

When I was in the Netherlands in 2020, banks in Amsterdam would hand out cash, but many stores, restaurants or bars would not accept cash, only debit or credit cards. Some still did use cash though.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-13

It’s less work for them because they don’t have to make deposits.

WALTER784
Staff

Aug-13

And they don't need to have cash on hand to give out change either!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-14

Since they can’t count change. They rely on cash registers to do it for them.  

don5328

Aug-14

When you asked if I was in favor of a cashless society I thought you meant like on Star Trek and other SciFi shows where there is no cash what so ever. I do not think we are ready for that. I do love having a debit card instead of having to write a check though. We still pay cash at restaurants, however, because we do not want to take a chance on having our debit card or credit card info stolen.

WALTER784
Staff

Aug-14

don5328 said...

We still pay cash at restaurants, however, because we do not want to take a chance on having our debit card or credit card info stolen.

Yes, and those are the big drawbacks to E-commerce too!

Then you have iPhone pay, Pay pay, Google pay, and numerous smartphone electronic paying methods too. 

FWIW

• Edited August 14, 2022 8:45 pm  by  WALTER784
Elarepea

Aug-14

No.  If your money is all electronic, then it will be too easy to control you.  Gov't doesn't like what you posted online - freeze your money/accts.  How will women trying to escape an abusive relationship squirrel away any money to escape with if it's all in an electronic account?

Showtalk
Host

Aug-14

There are too many chances for theft using a card that is out of your sight.  There will be many bugs to work out if we move that direction.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-14

They can’t escape. It will be dangerous for those women.

• Edited August 14, 2022 10:44 pm  by  Showtalk
WALTER784
Staff

Aug-14

Elarepea said...

If your money is all electronic, then it will be too easy to control you.  Gov't doesn't like what you posted online - freeze your money/accts.  How will women trying to escape an abusive relationship squirrel away any money to escape with if it's all in an electronic account?

Well, there's that part from the government too, but also don't forget you loose a lot of your privacy to those E-commerce card providers. They know where you frequent daily, 2 ~ 4 times a week and how much you spend on average at each place and per day as a total.

They're also tied in with a lot of FinTech (Financial Technology) related companies who buy/sell your data to marketing companies. Then you start getting spam about something you purchased somewhere, etc.

I remember reading about 2 or 3 hacks into somebody's account over in Europe a few years ago, but haven't really followed up on that recently.

Add to that theft of the cards/smartphones and other abuses which might occur.

Likewise, my dad is 92... he doesn't use a computer or smartphone. Many elderly would prefer to continue using cash.

So I doubt we'll go totally cashless over the next 5 years or so.

FWIW