Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you in favor of the Pennsylvania voting lawsuit?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Oct-8 by Showtalk; 1389 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Oct-8

Are you in favor of the Pennsylvania voting lawsuit?
  • Yes, it's needs to be investigated3  votes
    27%
  • No, the election is over and future elections must follow current law4  votes
    36%
  • The law was unconstitutional and must be overturned1  vote
    9%
  • It doesn't matter, a judge will rule against them3  votes
    27%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, it's needs to be investigated 
No, the election is over and future elections must follow current law 
The law was unconstitutional and must be overturned 
It doesn't matter, a judge will rule against them 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Oct-8

I know some of you don’t like this resource but it’s the only one covering this in depth.

Pennsylvania Lawmakers File Legal Challenge to Mail-In Voting Law

By Zachary Stieber 
September 2, 2021 Updated: September 2, 2021

A group of Pennsylvania lawmakers late Wednesday lodged a legal challenge to a voting law that some of them helped pass in 2019, arguing it has been applied in a way that violates the Commonwealth’s Constitution.

Fourteen Pennsylvania GOP representatives are asking the Commonwealth Court to declare provisions that enable voting by mail without excuse unconstitutional and block state officials from distributing, collecting, or counting no-excuse mail-in ballots in future elections.

The Republican-controlled legislature in 2019 passed Act 77, which dramatically changed Pennsylvania Election Code, including letting anybody vote by mail.

But the petition argues that expansion of voting by mail cannot be done legally without a constitutional amendment.

“Because the legislative changes enabling no-excuse mail voting in Pennsylvania require a constitutional amendment, and because the Pennsylvania Constitution has delegated to its citizens the right to vote on amendments to the Pennsylvania Constitution, Act 77 violates the U.S. Constitution’s delegation to states of the lawmaking power for federal elections,” the challenge states.

Some 2.6 million Pennsylvania voters used mail-in voting in the 2020 election, with another 4.2 million voting in person

https://www.theepochtimes.com/pennsylvania-lawmakers-file-legal-challenge-to-mail-in-voting-law_3978475.html

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-8

I need to read up on the lawsuit before commenting but I will say, while I love and support mail in voting as it's the only way I can vote, I believe PA residents have the right to control how they vote.  I suspect this lawsuit will fail, but who knows.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-8

I googled and found this article and noticed several other online resources.  This makes it sound like the lawsuit has already been filed and denied and this is the second attempt.  Too hungry to do more research now.  https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2020/11/29/939859062/pennsylvania-supreme-court-rejects-republican-suit-to-throw-out-ballots

Showtalk
Host

Oct-9

The residents didn’t want this. A good friend who lives in PA told me it was rammed through without the approval of the legislature. There have been many protests about losing their right to make their own decisions.  A single judge or judges can back up an unconstitutional decision against the wishes of most voters.  

• Edited October 9, 2021 12:55 pm  by  Showtalk
Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-9

You lost me...do the residents want early mail in voting?  It appears the lawsuit is going to fail to me so early mail in voting would remain as a voting method.  If the residents disapprove of mail in voting! Then they should support the lawsuit. 
if the right to vote by mail is overturned, residents can organize and get the issue on the ballot.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-9

People are upset about two things. They rammed through last minute changes in elections that favored one party over the other. Then there were huge discrepancies in voting. Judges said the lawsuits into the irregularities had no standing and dismissed them so the most egregious were never addressed. 

Showtalk
Host

Oct-9

They are playing around with facts.  I would invite my friend to post here to explain it better than I can, but she would go ballistic at the kind of article you posted.  Fact checks that don’t address the actual issue in question to avoid a real investigation.  I will see if she can direct me toward the real issue. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-9

The only reason mail in voting "favors" one party or another is because the members of the "favored" party keep on top of election changes and use the easiest way to vote.  In most states that means registering to vote when you renew your driver's license.  If members of all parties utilize all methods of voting, then failure of one party to turn out the vote is not the fault of the other party, it is up to each party and EACH registered voter to vote.  If I choose not to vote, that is MY responsibility and is not the fault of the voting laws, the parties or anyone else...just me.