Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you noticed shortages or higher ...   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Oct-18 by WALTER784; 4876 views.
WALTER784

Poll Question From WALTER784

Oct-18

Have you noticed shortages or higher prices of basic items in stores where you live?
  • Yes21  votes
    95%
  • No1  vote
    4%
Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

#emptyshelvesJoe was trending on Twitter.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

WALTER784

Oct-19

Well, I don't use Twitter but thanks for the info.

And I normally don't read the Post Millennial either but I did read this story.

These U.S. shipping backlogs are adversely affecting the entire world.

A friend of mine works in the legal department of a major Japanese shipping company. His specialty is in ship collisions, but has been in the legal field working with this same company for close to 40 years.

He said that Japanese made car parts on a Japanese ship that should have dropped those parts off in Long Beach over 10 days ago, and then onloaded something from the U.S. to distribute to Australia, Singapore and then finally return to Japan is still waiting to offload their parts. That means that the containers that this Japanese shipping company were to drop off, were to be replaced by other containers containing other items to be shipped elsewhere.

Now, Australia is expecting these containers to arrive next week, but the Japanese ship hasn't even been able to offload their current containers and thus don't know when their return trip containers will be loaded so Australia will be missing their expected delivery for at least a few more weeks.

And he told me that China has been affected the most. There just aren't enough containers in the entire world right now because they're all botched up and sitting either on ships waiting to enter our U.S. ports or sitting on the docks and not being delivered. So not only is this a U.S. problem, the lack of containers world wide due to this blockage affects a good majority of countries around the world.

But even though it looks peril... there is one silver lining...

DeSantis Offers the Solution to Supply-Chain Issues Newsom Has Exacerbated

DeSantis Offers the Solution to Supply-Chain Issues Newsom Has Exacerbated – RedState

You see... the shipping ports which are currently clogged are ALL IN BLUE STATES!!! (i.e. Caused by Democrats)

And they're affecting the entire world!!!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Oct-19

They won’t listen to DeSantis because he is the enemy. I’m shocked they haven’t figured out a way to blame the shipping crisis on Trump.

WALTER784

Oct-19

Showtalk said...

They won’t listen to DeSantis because he is the enemy. I’m shocked they haven’t figured out a way to blame the shipping crisis on Trump.

Well, I've heard numerous explanations including this one but don't buy any of them.

This crazy shipping crisis, explained (yahoo.com)

BUT... if you'll look at one of the graphs in the video above, I think I found out what the cause is... but the guy in the video never explained it the way I will.

Two things in the above video that I want to point out are:

and the following one in particular:

Just look at that skyrocketing jump in 2021!

I would just about be willing to bet that over 90% of that spike is from China.

While Trump was in office, the U.S. had heavy sanctions and tariffs on Chinese products. Biden probably got rid of them. And as soon as that happened, China just started pouring their products into the U.S. which caused that spike.

And the increased amount was well... just look at that graph spike... something the likes of which were never recorded before and it just overloaded our ports.

Then, add in the government handouts which keep dock hands and truck drivers at home rather than working and there you have the cause!

FWIW

• Edited October 19, 2021 11:19 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Oct-20

It’s partially true.  Demand was low at first during Covid and production was slower as well.  Then demand peaked during Covid as people were home more and had the time and desire to upgrade homes or buy more items.  And we got rid of tariffs on China.  In order to ship more at one time, they began using larger, heavier boats.  The harbors aren’t made for them, so they had to dredge them out to get the boats to the docks.

Dockworkers and truckers are unionized.  They are also hard, physical jobs. Experienced employees either liked being home and getting free money or they got Covid and are too weak to work now, or they retired and did something else. The union won’t take in new members so companies can’t hire replacements.  And finally fuel costs skyrocketed.

It is a combination of logistics, lack of workers, and high fuel costs.  Covid triggered it (oops, can’t say trigger as it’s a gun word) and policies made it continue.

WALTER784

Oct-20

Yes... but none of this is being mentioned by the supposedly "experts"!!!

What do you think about us teaming up as a pair for a "expert" job with high paying salary? (* CHUCKLE *)

What I previously posted was just my own personal opinion looking at the charts in the presentation I previously posted, but I don't see anybody else reporting this same angle, but I do believe it's probably closer to the truth than what's currently being reported.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Oct-20

I’m sure the changes in trade agreements have a lot to do with it since many of our products come from China.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Oct-20

It does, not to mention from your largest trading partner, Canada.