Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First relative to die of Covid   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Oct-25 by WALTER784; 448 views.
WALTER784

Oct-25

Out of the 500+ relatives I have... the first to die of Covid has finally been made known to me.

She was my Aunt... 94 years old... my father's older sister.

She was admitted to the hospital with thyroid problems over one month ago.

They gave her medication and treatment and she was turning for the better after about 2 weeks.

She was also vaccinated.

But... while she was in the hospital... she got Covid and turned for the worse and just passed away last week. I just found out about it last night.

She was fully vaccinated, but got Covid and died!

I guess that explains how good the vaccines are at preventing either getting the virus or dying from it! </sarcasm off>

FWIW

LoveRiot

Oct-25

My condolences.

I just recently read that seniors are still high risk, even after getting vaccinated--particularly if they have multiple health conditions. 

• Edited October 25, 2021 6:52 pm  by  LoveRiot
Showtalk
Host

Oct-25

I’m sorry for your loss.  

WALTER784

Oct-25

Thank you.

FWIW

WALTER784

Oct-25

Thank you.

It really sad though because she got Covid in the hospital several weeks after she was admitted for a non-Covid emergency.

FWIW

LoveRiot

Oct-26

WALTER784 said...

It really sad though because she got Covid in the hospital several weeks after she was admitted for a non-Covid emergency.

I hear stories like that a lot, before COVID--people going into the hospital for one thing and contracting infections and passing away from that instead of what they went in for. My neighbor lost both his parents that way. 

WALTER784

Oct-26

I think that's why a lot of people are staying away from hospitals... and also possibly the reason for people not going in to see their doctors when they get the flu or influenza... because they're afraid they might get Covid.

That would be one explanation for the lack of flu/influenza cases in the past almost 2 years.

FWIW

LoveRiot

Oct-26

WALTER784 said...

That would be one explanation for the lack of flu/influenza cases in the past almost 2 years.

I'm a caregiver for my 91-year-old Mom. The flu (viruses) is one of the top 3 leading cause of death for the elderly, so I was already doing half the things they ask us to do for COVID--washing hands frequently and thoroughly, disinfecting germ hot spots around the house, social distancing. I think people doing that because of COVID has also diminished people getting the flu, in general.

WALTER784

Oct-26

I would tend to agree with that...

Since Covid... the masks, cleansing/disinfecting of hands, other precautions which most of us didn't strictly follow previously may have staved off quite a bit of the flu/influenza as well.

In Japan and many other Asian countries, since the outbreak of SARS-1 and other infectious diseases, many have become accustom to wearing masks to either prevent your spread or to prevent you from getting the spread of others. Likewise, many Japanese corporations... during the flu/influenza seasons, offered mouth wash gargle solutions in the bathrooms for their employees to use as well.

I doubt that many American corporations followed those practices for such a long time and thus now... with Covid... they're introduced to this only recently.

FWIW

LoveRiot

Oct-26

Japanese companies offers mouthwash in bathrooms for their employees? That's a great idea! Heh.