Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are your energy/utility prices rising ?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Oct-25 by Showtalk; 6302 views.
Showtalk said:

It’s not affordable for most to go to solar. Landlords won’t be able to afford it.

or HOAs will forbid it, and it might be a decade until a retired trial lawyer ends up in the neighborhood who has a lot more time and expertise to litigate than the HOA has to dig in their heels and stubbornly refuse to budge. And finally the retired lawyer prevails in court, and a judge orders the HOA to stand down, clearing the way for residents to finally install solar.

And that probably will have to repeat hundreds of thousands of times all around the nation, one lawsuit against an HOA at a time (or worse, one lawsuit by an HOA against a resident trying to go green who ends up being made to rip it all out.

But then based on some very early horror stories about HOAs, I don't have any real optimism that very many will see the light before they feel the heat.

Jeri (azpaints) said:

The roof was badly compromised. Leaks in two places. The solar company had her sign a waiver and she did. She was told by another solar company no way would they install panels.

Yikes.

Update on my own fuel situation - both propane tanks are now full. Sometimes the way to get ahead is not *what* you know, but *who*.  Got it done by a new propane vendor that I didn't even know supplied in this area. And saved almost $1.25 a gallon on propane. Yay! So the tab was still about $900 to top it all off, while I had been fearing it was going to be more like $1500.

So as long as I can power the furnace blower with an inverter or get the generator up and going, we should be able to stay warm through the next Snowmageddon.

And if it skyrockets to, say, $6 a gallon following its present trajectory, at least it will be another 3 or 4 years before I've got to come up with a wheelbarrow of money. Assuming someone doesn't steal the wheelbarrow and dump out the money.

trying to find that picture I saw - shows a public toilet in Zimbabwe. Big sign says "Do Not Flush Newspaper, Magazine pages, or ZW Currency. Toilet Paper Only." Probably the Zimbabwe dollars were worth far less per wipe than squares of actual toilet paper.

Showtalk
Host

Nov-14

HOAs here are supporting solar.  Blue states tend to be pro.

Showtalk
Host

Nov-14

I had literally barely heard of propane other than to barbecue until I watched King of the Hill.

Showtalk said:

HOAs here are supporting solar. Blue states tend to be pro.

Maybe the HOA Brownshirts I learned to loathe in the 1980s have all gone to nursing homes or the cemeteries due to the passage of time, and their heirs have become far more practical. Maybe also the difficulty of selling a home under an HOA (many studies suggest the presence of an HOA reduces the market value by 10 to 20 percent in some places), and the younger generation, who may remember their parents or grandparents having to go to court over a basketball goal or the length of the grass while recovering from a serious illness, who tell realtors "if the property is under an HOA don't even waste my time showing me the house"; has started to turn the tide.

But my knee-jerk reaction mental image about solar is some fuddy-duddy in his golf cart throwing a temper tantrum about how "that ugly stuff on the roof disrupts the decor of the neighborhood and reduces property values". And then going on to say that they can't have nonconformists putting any kind of flowers in the planters that they want or it will turn into a slum in no time.

My real objection to solar is the way it's being installed. Various vulture companies essentially own the panels, and they reap the profits of the power sold back to the electric grid, while the homeowner is still stuck with the same old electric costs they had before. You have to really research and buy your own panels and get a specially modified controller that can both feed to the grid but also run the house totally off-line during a prolonged outage.

And because the companies peddling the "go green" would see such true energy self-sufficient installations eat into their whole business model, they try really hard to railroad people into "my way or the highway".

Now if someone cut you a check every month based on kilowatt-hours produced, that would be far better. Even better is, your solar setup first powers your house outright, and sells the surplus back to the grid, and it doesn't create more income tax liability by making you buy power from the electric company and then get a rebate the IRS probably counts as taxable income - and involves several middlemen siphoning off and pocketing a good chunk of your "savings".

That's how I analyzed a sales pitch one solar shyster gave, accompanied by the kind of high pressure "gotta sign on the dotted line today" kind of tactics that will cause me to walk away faster than you can yell "Scammer"

Showtalk said:

I had literally barely heard of propane other than to barbecue until I watched King of the Hill.

<guitar intro - Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" >

If you've all had your fill
Of high 'lectric heat bill
Propane

Lose that wood smoke bane
With that clean burning flame
Propane

Please go buy, please go buy,
Propane

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-14

DH filled our BBQ tank and his new "toy" that is a focused mini flame thrower to burn off sticker (called goatheads here) plants.  He didnt think the cist had raised but we didn't actually discuss it.

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-14

Our electric company is trying to get Approval for a flat rate solar use charge to be billed to customers who install solar on top of their normal per kwh bill.  Estimates have run from $50 to $200 per month.  It's questionable if the commission will DENY the request since the electric company has share holders on the commission.

In AZ a couple yrs ago a law was passed that destroyed HOA Powers to a huge degree.  Involved a retiree whose HOA assessed fines for non payment if HOA dues, got title to a Scottsdale house worth a couple hundred thousand for about $3,000 in fees and ejected the homeowner.  It was a group of homeowners suing including one whose HOA tried to evict when the grandson moved in.  HOA lost that ine big time since the court had ordered the boy custody to grandparents when parents killed in car accident.  Talk about community outrage!

Showtalk
Host

Nov-14

Many are scammers.  There was a push to put those huge solar canopies in parking lots near existing homes and apartments without glare studies being done.  Can you imagine looking out a window to see only the glare coming off panels through the glass?  People who lived nearby protested with letters and phone calls. The original, real peaceful protests.  Then they found the panels would be leased and the leases were 25 years, where the panels had only about a 15-20 year lifespan. They would not see savings at all in energy for most of that time. The cities involved finally said No and that was the end of it.