Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you know about Ahmaud Arbery?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Nov-17 by Showtalk; 1715 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Nov-17

What do you know about Ahmaud Arbery
  • He was a Black man shot in the back while running by three white men1  vote
    14%
  • He had a mental illness and was unmedicated0  votes
    0%
  • He was convicted of shoplifting0  votes
    0%
  • He was convicted of felony gun possession at a school0  votes
    0%
  • He was on felony probation when he died0  votes
    0%
  • He had THC in his system when he died0  votes
    0%
  • He had entered an unfinished house several times including the day he died1  vote
    14%
  • All of the above0  votes
    0%
  • Only #1 matters in his case5  votes
    71%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
He was a Black man shot in the back while running by three white men 
He had a mental illness and was unmedicated 
He was convicted of shoplifting 
He was convicted of felony gun possession at a school 
He was on felony probation when he died 
He had THC in his system when he died 
He had entered an unfinished house several times including the day he died 
All of the above 
Only #1 matters in his case 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Nov-17

The purpose of this discussion isn’t to justify what happened to him. There is no justification. The purpose is to discuss the media’s role in presenting information to people. Until I searched today to get more background on him, who he was, why was he chased and shot in cold blood, I hadn’t heard any of this.  Does the media owe us a full picture of all the people involved in this horrific shooting, including the victim? Or does that not matter in presenting the case?

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Nov-17

I have already made a mistake. Apparently he was shots in the chest, not the back, but until I saw this article, I did not realize it.  Earlier information I read said he was shot while fleeing.

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-17

The medias goal is to sell advertising space.  Very few of them have any legal knowledge.  But if it bleeds, it leads and if it's on a red and blue background it will lead in big block letters.  I admit to beings fascinated (obsessed) with legal issues.  But at the end of the story, the finish of the day, the court system, the judge, jury, attorneys will almost always have way more accurate information and analysis of the case than I will in my recliner with iPad in hand.  

So...no the media should not give us more information because the information they give us is to sell us something, not to educate or inform us.

Showtalk
Host

Nov-17

Then we should not rely on the media for information about big stories like this one.

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-17

Precisely but it does make for interesting and challenging discussions between reasonable adults.  The problem arises when participants become angry and take it personally.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Nov-17

Public interest has to be served though, people have a right to know what is going on, people have their pick of slant they want to digest their information with. I was unaware of this case and it's particulars until I looked it up just a moment ago and read the CBC piece on it, to me this seems pretty clean cut, an even worse George Zimmerman situation.

Showtalk
Host

Nov-17

We never do that here.  kissing

Showtalk
Host

Nov-17

I learned about it from reading something a friend wrote online saying he was a Black man shot in the back as he jogged in his own neighborhood, but three white men.  So that is all I knew at the time.  I’m only learned the other information today.  It is a clear case of criminal assault, probably premeditated and with no remorse.  I doubt we will see many disagreements in this discussion on the facts.