Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

COVID-Style Family Formation   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jan-2 by WALTER784; 4265 views.
WALTER784

Jan-2

On the one hand, we have fewer marriages and also fewer child births...

COVID-Style Family Formation

December 31, 2021

Penna Dexter

New research on family life shows that COVID-19 has exacerbated a growing divide in family formation, with higher-income, better-educated Americans more interested in getting married and having children than those with less education and lower incomes.

Marriage rates are falling. Birth and fertility rates are at record lows. The fertility rate is only about 1.7 children per woman. well below the replacement rate of 2.1 children per woman.

All kinds of problems result from this decline in family formation, many of them economic.

But New York Times columnist Ross Douthat says most research portends a “potentially disastrous long-term cost” for the poor and least-educated Americans for whom “singlehood and isolation define middle and old age.“

The pandemic contributed to these trends. Dating became more difficult when institutions where relationships often form — churches, colleges, and community organizations — closed or moved online.

Ross Douthat warns that these institutions likely won’t resume the robust role they once played in matchmaking. Now, he writes, they’re “pushing people more and more into virtual spaces and virtual marriage markets that, on the evidence we have, aren’t doing a particularly good job of paring men and women off.”

The pandemic fueled government “stimulus” spending that allowed many Americans to delay their return to work. This had the undesirable effect of encouraging more working-class men to drop out of the workforce.

The research shows more women than men are now returning to church. But, more men than women are finding themselves in a lifestyle labeled NEET:  Not in Education, Employment, or Training.

And not getting married or starting families.

There’s talk of a government-provided guaranteed income to relieve this downward pressure on the desire to form families. But would this alleviate what Ross Douthat described as the “family-unfriendliness” of men making low annual incomes?  Would it change the minds of “more than half of single men making less than $50,000” per year who report they don’t want to have children?

COVID-Style Family Formation - Point of View - Point of View

FWIW

In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784

Jan-2

And on the other hand, we have quite a few more anchor babies being born in 49 of our 50 states than those from American couples. The future demographics are going to change drastically.

Nearly 400K Anchor Babies Born in 2021, Outpacing U.S. Births in 49 States

Illegal aliens, tourists, and foreign visa workers delivered nearly 400,000 children in the United States over the last 12 months, prior analysis concludes, securing birthright American citizenship.

The analysis, published in 2018 by the Center for Immigration Studies, states that close to 400,000 “anchor babies,” the term used to describe the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens, are delivered across all 50 states each year.

Anchor babies are rewarded with birthright American citizenship despite their parents having no legitimate ties to the U.S., many having only recently arrived. Years later, when the child is considered an adult, they can sponsor their parents and foreign relatives for green cards — anchoring their family in the U.S. for generations.

Specifically, about 300,000 anchor babies are delivered to illegal alien parents every year. In addition, about 72,000 anchor babies are delivered to foreign tourists, foreign visa workers, and foreign students annually.

That total, at about 372,000 anchor babies born each year, outpaces the total number of births in 49 states, according to the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics.

Only the state of California, with nearly 420,000 births in 2020, exceeds the number of anchor babies born each year. The number of births in Texas, at about 366,000 in 2020, is now less than the annual number of anchor babies born in the U.S.

To date, the U.S. Supreme Court has never explicitly ruled that the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens must be granted automatic American citizenship, and a number of legal scholars dispute the idea.

Many leading conservative scholars argue the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment does not provide mandatory birthright citizenship to the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens or noncitizens, because these children are not subject to U.S. jurisdiction as that language was understood when the 14th Amendment was ratified.

Nearly 400K Anchor Babies Born in 2021, Outpacing Births in 49 States (breitbart.com)

FWIW

selzer

Jan-2

Import a few more thousand muslims, provide them citizenship, and we will have our birthrate up again.  The problem, of course, is to maintain the American culture when the majority of babies born are in cultural groups that have no desire to assimilate to our culture, but want to change our country into wherever they came from.  Do we want to follow in the footsteps of England?  Germany too, because their birthrate was not sufficient to support manufacturing, they opened the door to all kinds of immigration and the problems that came with it.  Personally, I think we need to stop murdering unborn babies, and put some strict controls on immigration for a number of years until we "set" who Americans are, and then we can open it up a little more.  But a country without borders is no country.  We need to protect ourselves, our land and our culture, from threats foreign and domestic.  I think that means putting a stop to illegal immigration.  If the first act would-be immigrants commit is breaking our laws, then, when caught, those people should be finger-printed, DNA'd and then sent out of the country, forever -- no second chances, no path to citizenship.  Babies or no babies.  If their first act is to break our laws, we don't need them.

WALTER784

Jan-2

selzer said...

Personally, I think we need to stop murdering unborn babies, and put some strict controls on immigration for a number of years until we "set" who Americans are, and then we can open it up a little more.

There is a good chance that by stopping abortions, we might be able to continue our American culture without succumbing to other's cultures.

I never really could understand why somebody who wanted to immigrate to the US would not want to embrace our American culture.

FWIW

What problems do England and Germany have? Germany is considered a top five country, UK is top ten. All you’re doing here is distorting facts and spreading what boils down to a racist ideology. You and Walter are two peas in a pod.

Speaking of Walter, who shakes his Stars and Stripes rattle all the time on these sorts of dog whistles lives in Japan, where he’s an immigrant, and if he’s still working is taking a job from a citizen of that country, great person to making the argument that immigrants are ruining the nation.

• Edited January 2, 2022 1:51 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

Jan-2

Please say what you need to without name calling. I removed one descriptive, name calling word. Selzer is a new member here, was invited by two different people to talk about dogs and has as much right as anyone else to have an opinion.  If we can cut the name calling and talk about opinions and facts, we will all get along much better.

Walter is now retired but did not take a job away from anyone.m that kind of thinking is odd to me.  If someone is hired, they get the job.  It happens in the U.S. all the time where tech companies hire people from other countries who are doing jobs our citizens could take if they were qualified and applied.  Given Japan’s place in the tech industry I doubt he took a job someone else could do.  I realize you don’t care for Walter’s politics but he speaks 8 languages fluently and is also very accomplished in his field.  

Showtalk
Host

Jan-2

Current events 101. Both England and Germany have a terrible problem with immigrants not assimilating.  Read up on No Go Zones.  Their issues are part of the reason Brexit got such enormous support.

selzer

Jan-2

I am not against immigration at all.  My Grandmother emigrated to this country near the turn of the last century.  Her father had a trade (electrician) and a job lined up (working on the street cars in Cleveland, Ohio).  The family came over here shortly after the Titanic disaster (they were booked on the Titanic, but it was over booked and they agreed to a later voyage.  The family had to be immunized and had to take citizenship tests as well as learning the English language.  Her father demanded that none of the children spoke any Hungarian, so that they would learn English.  My grandmother had to re-learn Hungarian as a teenager. 

The liberals are trying to murk the waters by complaining that conservatives are against immigration which we are not.  We are against illegal immigration.  There is nothing wrong with legal immigration, however there have been times in our history where we limited it even further, in order to allow the variety of cultures here to kind of assimilate.  I think that makes sense again.  

They say we are so rotten to immigrants here, but people still want to come here.  And, in other countries, they are nice to us when we visit, some require an exit plan before we enter, but they aren't happy to see up come to dinner with their sons and daughters looking to date or to inter-marriage, not like it is in the US.  But whatever.  

Whatever you've been reading and I've been reading are obviously different.  There is a lot of criminal attacks on girls and young women in both England and Germany directly related to the surge of immigrants.  I am uncertain whether this is more racist to admit or mention this, or more racist to cover it up.  

selzer

Jan-2

Yes there are areas in England where there Sharia law, and you cannot even walk your dogs there.  That won't fly here.  I hope.  

Another problem with illegal immigration is that diseases that were irradicated here are coming back because the people come in without any immunizations or health clearances.  

And yet, looking at the indexes for prosperity in every conceivable category the UK and Germany are tops in the world, along with the United States and Canada, so I’m not sure how bad it can be, seems more like cherry-picking bad examples rather than looking at overall numbers that paint a more accurate picture.

You said it yourself in your PM, you’re furious with the administration over immigration policy, gee, I wonder if that could present a bias?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/germany

Germany #3 in the world, strongest economy in Europe, these dangerous, criminal immigrants sure are dragging that economy into the toilet…wait, that’s not what the numbers reflect at all, oops.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/united-kingdom

UK #8 in the world, very similar to Germany, oh and look at the indexes for heritage and cultural influence, super high, in stark contrast to immigrants eroding the very fabric of these societies. You wanted numbers, there they are, point blank.