Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Why are Covid tests in short supply?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jan-11 by Showtalk; 653 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jan-11

Why are Covid tests in short supply?
  • Colleges, hospitals, government agencies require too many tests0  votes
    0%
  • Asymptomatic people are using too many tests1  vote
    12%
  • People are hoarding test kits0  votes
    0%
  • The government is hoarding them for distribution0  votes
    0%
  • 2 and 31  vote
    12%
  • 1, 2 and 30  votes
    0%
  • All of the above3  votes
    37%
  • I haven't seen a shortage1  vote
    12%
  • Other2  votes
    25%
Colleges, hospitals, government agencies require too many tests 
Asymptomatic people are using too many tests 
People are hoarding test kits 
The government is hoarding them for distribution 
2 and 3 
1, 2 and 3 
All of the above 
I haven't seen a shortage 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Jan-11

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Jan-11

Where is the government getting all these test kits and why can’t people buy their own?

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-11

Voted 2 & 3, but only because of my local situation, we have a very short supply of test kits and it’s already been exposed that asymptomatic people and just regular people are hoarding tests.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-11

Is it hoarding if they are using them?  I bought two tests when I saw them in the store right before the holidays because we were told to be prepared. They are only good 6 months but they were over a month old when I saw them. They will expire in about 4 months.  Am I hoarding them by following advice I was given? If so, I could give them away but then what if I have symptoms?  

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-11

I voted other.

The Biden administration had this on their plate in Oct 2021. They could have approved it easily. But they decided to postpone it until after the new year. Knowing good and well that many people who wanted to travel home for the Christmas/New Year period would probably use up all the available test kits currently distributed.

Omicron was already on the rise, it was writing on the wall. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for them to have postponed passing legislation in Oct 2021 to start shipping out the new PCR test kits.

That is what caused the hoarding in the first place.

FWIW

• Edited January 11, 2022 11:54 am  by  WALTER784
The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-11

The situation here is like taking ten to twelve tests for *just in case* one or two tests is something everyone should have access to, but what we’re learning here is that greed is driving demand.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-11

Also fear.  But are people really hoarding?

Showtalk
Host

Jan-11

That could be, but I kept searching and finally found otherwise. Biden screwed up…again. The government is buying up all the stockpiled tests from manufacturer warehouses. Manufacturers cut production last summer when demand dropped as the tests expire.  So they wait until the last possible minute to make more. By the time supply catches up, the demand will drop again.  It’s interesting how we want to blame people and schools when they aren’t to blame at all! They are being told to take a test for every possible exposure.  Colleges knew demand would be up so they placed orders last summer. The tests they have on campus were preorders therefore not part of the shortage.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-11

Who was blaming schools?

I can only tell you what I see locally, and locally we have people buying more than they need and hoarding them, now other factors may come into play as you described, I’m fairly certain we get our tests from a manufacturer in the United States, so we’re already behind because US suppliers will fill US orders first anyway as they should.