Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What can be done about crimes by homeless against others?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jan-23 by Showtalk; 1510 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jan-23

What can be done about crimes by homeless against others?
  • We should have compassion and get them of the streets2  votes
    12%
  • They should be forced to get mental health treatment2  votes
    12%
  • They should be treated like criminals when they commit serious crimes11  votes
    68%
  • Crimes are publicized more but are no worse than they ever were0  votes
    0%
  • Nothing can be done to stop it0  votes
    0%
  • Public policies must change to support victims over criminals1  vote
    6%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
We should have compassion and get them of the streets 
They should be forced to get mental health treatment 
They should be treated like criminals when they commit serious crimes 
Crimes are publicized more but are no worse than they ever were 
Nothing can be done to stop it 
Public policies must change to support victims over criminals 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

Pictures of the scene and the victim.

Man charged with killing nurse, 70, at Los Angeles bus stop

Kerry Bell, 48 (not pictured), a homeless man, on Tuesday was charged with murder for allegedly attacking and killing Los Angeles nurse Sandra Shells, 70, without provocation.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

There are no pictures of Kerry Bell, the homeless man who murdered the nurse, Sandra Shells. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-23

Voted #2, but in general towards the homeless I would vote 1 and 2, and I'm a proponent of people facing the consequences of their actions, so #3 as well. Recently we had a rather heinous crime occur at a bus stop in my city, here the homeless occupy transit shelters (it's been -40c here with windchill for the most part since Christmas, to give you an idea of how cold it is.) a lot of stolen property ends up in these transit shelters and on our riverbanks where the homeless camp out from April to November. 

Once a serious crime has been committed, then the Justice system and Prison systems take over, but I think we can mitigate this with poll options 1 & 2, if we only invested a bit more into forced treatment and therapy, and then a lot more into job training and sustainable housing we might be able to advance on the issue but very few tax payers are willing to see their money go towards the homeless and I do get it, we don't turn many of them into solid citizens with our current policies, so why would it be any different if we spent even more money? The sad reality is that any investment here is a multiyear, decade or more process to see a positive change that you'd notice on the street, people don't have patience for that.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

Your situation in your province is very different from ours, as yours are people indigenous to the area, where in my state, people travel from all over to be homeless here.  So much money is given to help them. If they are transient and can be helped, they can be placed in transitional type living arrangements and be out of homelessness relatively quickly.  Those are people without a lot of mental illness who fall on hard times and have some marketable skills. Often they are single women or single mothers.  The difficult situations are the homeless mentally ill who can’t or won’t be helped.

If you haven’t read The Soloist but Steve Lopez, pick up a copy.  It’s an eye opening account of the homeless life of a talented musician who was helped by Lopez, and the aftermath.  

Showtalk
Host

Jan-23

Also, most homeless have shortened life spans and aren’t committing felonies or murdering people.  There happened to be several serious crimes recently that put the situation back in the news.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-23

Showtalk said:

If they are transient and can be helped, they can be placed in transitional type living arrangements and be out of homelessness relatively quickly.  Those are people without a lot of mental illness who fall on hard times and have some marketable skills. Often they are single women or single mothers.  

Not too dissimilar to the situation here, but you are doing a more targeted form of dealing with the issue, our approach is far more broad and ends up helping very few. 

Showtalk said:

The difficult situations are the homeless mentally ill who can’t or won’t be helped.

This is the more common issue here, and Vancouver too for that matter and in fact is a greater proportion of their homeless. 

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-23

I agree it's mostly outlier cases that these crimes fall under.