Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you eager to fly in an electric-powered airplane?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Mar-10 by Showtalk; 854 views.

Yep. Quite exciting.

Oh, I finally found out what happened to one of the airplanes I have been tracking that landed about 90 miles away but never returned, like it had been parked there.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/03/cessna-172k-skyhawk-n7199g-accident.html

WALTER784
Staff

May-13

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

I finally found out what happened to one of the airplanes I have been tracking that landed about 90 miles away but never returned, like it had been parked there.

Wow... looking at the picture, I thought it had flipped as it was landing, but aparently not. That must have been a really strong gust of wind to blow a Cessna over on it's side as he was taxiing on the ground after landing.

If both tanks had been full, that would have added an additional 317 lbs to the weight to the aircraft, but one tank was almost empty and the other only had about 1/4 the fuel so it was much lighter. Even his 200 lbs weight wasn't able to tip it back up properly. 

He must have had a fuel leak on the right side. Tanks are usually mounted in the wings... 19 gallons on both the right and left wing. Usually fuel leaks occur in the fuel lines somewhere between the tanks in the wing and the engine in front. I wonder whether this is the first flight where he noticed the leak or whether it was leaking on previous flights too?

Regardless, even to tip a Cessna partially over on one wing tip would have been a very strong wind. Flipping it completely over would have had to have been even stronger.

The accident report said that the airspeed indicator was showing 40 knots while at a complete standstill and the brakes engaged.

That's gale force wind. I logged quite a bit of time in a Cessna 172, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that kind of wind would flip it if it arrived from the side or rear.

What I would do if I was unlucky enough to land and try and taxi in the midst of a heavy wind, is let the aircraft "weathervane" into the wind, and if necessary, sit on the ramp or part of the taxiway for however long it takes for the weather event to pass through.

I once landed at Snyder (SNK) a few minutes ahead of a thunderstorm. There were a half dozen people and a pickup truck that ran out to meet me, who then hooked chains onto the outer wing struts (most aircraft have hard attach lugs out there for that purpose), and walked alongside it as I taxied it onto the ramp. The pickup truck was to hook a wing strut lug via chain to the bumper to add another ton or two of weight to keep a wing down, although the worst of it hit after we had my plane tied down. I jumped out and went to several other planes with them to help cinch down the rest of them a bit more solidly.

The third tie-down point is the tail skid on a tricycle gear plane like the Cessna 172, 182, 177 Cardinal, 210 Centurian, etc. On a tail dragger such as a Cessna 170 or 180, Cessna 140, Piper Cub, Piper Pacer, etc., there is a reinforced lug normally on the airframe just behind or in front of the tail wheel.

WALTER784
Staff

May-17

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

let the aircraft "weathervane" into the wind

I take it that's nose into the wind? As the engine is the heaviest part, I would turn the aircraft facing the direction where the wind was coming from.

FWIW