Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pelosi barred From Communion Over Aborti   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started May-21 by WALTER784; 122 views.
WALTER784
Staff

May-21

Wow...

'Evil': Archbishop Bars Pelosi From Communion Over Abortion Stance

Salvatore Cordileone, archbishop of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, barred House Speaker Nancy Pelosi from receiving communion.

Daniel Hampton,
Posted Fri, May 20, 2022 at 12:36 pm PT

SAN FRANCISCO — Salvatore Cordileone, the archbishop of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, barred House Speaker Nancy Pelosi from receiving communion Friday over her support of abortion.

"After numerous attempts to speak with Speaker Pelosi to help her understand the grave evil she is perpetrating, the scandal she is causing, an (sic) the danger to her own soul she is risking, I have determined that she is not to be admitted to Holy Communion," Cordileone tweeted.

Cordileone, 65, a native of San Diego, has led the San Francisco archdiocese for a decade after serving four years as bishop in Oakland. He said the move to ban Pelosi, a Democrat, was "purely pastoral, not political," Catholic News Agency reported.

In the past, Pelosi called herself as a "devout Catholic." She has repeatedly denied Cordileone's efforts to talk about her support for abortion.

"A Catholic legislator who supports procured abortion, after knowing the teaching of the Church, commits a manifestly grave sin which is a cause of most serious scandal to others. Therefore, universal Church law provides that such persons 'are not to be admitted to Holy Communion,'" he said in the letter, according to Fox News.

The archdiocese's website appeared to go down Friday.

Pelosi has outwardly supported abortion. Earlier this month, she and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer issued a joint statement blasting a reported draft of a Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

"If the report is accurate, the Supreme Court is poised to inflict the greatest restriction of rights in the past fifty years – not just on women but on all Americans," the statement said.

They added: "The Republican-appointed Justices' reported votes to overturn Roe v. Wade would go down as an abomination, one of the worst and most damaging decisions in modern history."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church holds that "human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception."

"From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life," it said. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you."

Cordileone also wrote a separate letter to priests of his archdiocese saying the decision was "simply application of Church teaching."

"There are those who speak of such actions as I am taking as 'weaponizing' the Eucharist. However, this is simply application of Church teaching," he said.

'Evil': Archbishop Bars Pelosi From Communion Over Abortion Stance | San Francisco, CA Patch

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-21

How long will it be before he is retired and disappears from public view?

WALTER784
Staff

May-21

Well, Pelosi better immediately invest at least $400,000 (a drop in the bucket compared to her total worth) to beef up his security detail... because anything that happens to him will be blamed on Pelosi!!!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-21

The church can’t afford to protect him.

WALTER784
Staff

May-21

Oh, I'm sure they can, but the thing is... should the church's security end up with one minor slip up... even if it was the church security detail who was at fault... the general public at large will all thing Pelosi had something to do with it.

That's why I said that Pelosi should bolster his security to ensure her name isn't dragged in the mud over any incident!!!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-22

Her name is already mud in the Catholic community.