Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Another school shooting. How can we prevent it from happening again?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started May-24 by Showtalk; 14317 views.
WALTER784
Staff

May-29

A friend of mine posted this in another forum and gave me permission to use it:

When the gov tells us that they are the "experts" in everything, these two incidents highlight the fact that they are full of it:

"Retired Federal Agent Under Scrutiny in Buffalo Shooting"

The Buffalo News is reporting a disturbing new wrinkle in the mass shooting that claimed 10 lives in that city.
The FBI is investigating whether a retired federal agent learned of the attack about 30 minutes in advance
but did nothing, according to the newspaper.

Question?

How does a retired Fed become involved in an incident like this?

"Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at School Shooting"

A top Texas law enforcement official said Friday what angry parents have said all along about the delayed
police response to the mass shooting in Uvalde:

"It was the wrong decision. Period," said Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw

I see massive lawsuits ahead in both instances!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-29

It was the last day of school and parents were on campus. They presumably opened the door so people could leave or teachers could remove their possessions for the summer.

The only tactical equipment was owned by Border Patrol. Once they were notified they arrived on scene immediately.  For everyone who complains about border patrol being unnecessary and  racist, they saved the rest of the school from injury and death. They are heroes,

Showtalk
Host

May-29

Is a retired agent required to share information? They get thousands of warnings daily and can’t investigate them all.

Uvalde is a small underfunded city. Their police were trained for typical crimes there, not mass shooting.

WALTER784
Staff

May-29

A friend of mine in another forum gave me permission to share this post of hers about the shooting. She lost her son in a car accident when he was 9!

The school shootings are horrible actions.  But why are they happening?  I think bullying is one of the factors.  Seems that those young people who have done this were a little different growing up and were bullied.  They were loners, no friends, and the hate built up in them so strong til they wanted to retaliate. 

One of the things the schools need to do is punish the bullies and give more attention to those who are different.  Show them a little love and maybe they can feel they have some worth.

Ramos dropped out of school in 10th grade because of the bullying and failing grades and was working at Wendy's.   As soon as he was 18 he legally bought the 2 guns and a few days later the shootings took place.

I grieve for the families who lost loved ones.  I know what it feels like to lose a child at age 9.  Nothing is worse.    But, I also feel sorry for the boy who felt no love in his life and made to feel that he was less than anyone else and not taught right from wrong.  

He must have hated his home life also since he shot his grandmother in the face and she is in critical condition.  His intention was to kill her.

I'm glad the shooter was killed so the families will not have to go through the trials and have some inkling of closure.  But, I regret where his soul will be.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/bullying/effects

UNQUOTE

FWIW

• Edited May 29, 2022 9:37 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

May-29

It’s true, bullying should never be allowed. At the same time, children need to learn how to deflect it.  I have children and I worked with children. I spent a lot of time in the classrooms in elementary school.  The real not so secret secret is that all children are teased and bullied. It’s a normal childhood behavior.  Most children learn to ignore it or deflect it.  If bullies can’t find a target they keep going until their attacks get a hit.  We need to bully proof children.  Teach them to laugh at their attackers, to turn it back around on them. Teach them martial arts and self defense.  Children who can confidently defend themselves usually don’t have to because the bullies are afraid of what they might be able to do.  Identify children who are targets and treat them early.  Often they are also mistreated at home in some way and learn to expect it.

WALTER784
Staff

May-30

Showtalk said...

Teach them martial arts and self defense.

I took Taekwondo Karate in Junior high school. And it paid off.

One bully in the 9th grade, attempted to bully me but I stood up to him. He knocked my glasses off of my face and they fell down on the concrete and broke. I then turned and kicked him squarely in the nose with my foot breaking his nose. 

He claimed that I started the fight but I told him I only kicked the guy after he broke my glasses. There were witnesses to corroborate my story and thus nothing ever happened to me but that guy was kicked out of school. 

Ever since that time, I was expecting him to come back for retaliation but he never did. For the rest of my 10th ~ 12 grade, I always wore boots and carried nunchakus in the legs of my boots. There was one after school incident where I was walking down a sidewalk on the school grounds where 3 guys approached me, but as soon as I pulled out those nunchakus and started swinging them, they all ran off.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-30

Martial arts work.  You were lucky. Now, a victim who fights back is also suspended or expelled.  If the bully is a protected group, the victim may be the only person who faces consequences. 

WALTER784
Staff

May-30

Showtalk said...

Martial arts work.  You were lucky. Now, a victim who fights back is also suspended or expelled.  If the bully is a protected group, the victim may be the only person who faces consequences. 

So they support the bullies now instead of the victims!

That too, only goes to show how wrong our system currently has become!

FWIW

In reply toRe: msg 41
WALTER784
Staff

May-30

Teachers who truly want to protect our kids and grand kids are willing to protect them with a firearm. Those who want to indoctrinate them into becoming mindless puppets don't want firearms in the schools.

This meme says exactly that...

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-30

Sometimes, yes.  My warning was always stand up for yourself and don’t get caught.  Well, just a few times, but it worked.