Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you go to your high school class r...   The Social You: Interactive

Started Jun-16 by WALTER784; 1352 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Poll Question From WALTER784

Jun-16

Do you go to your high school class reunions?
  • I've attended all of them0  votes
    0%
  • I've attended most of them2  votes
    10%
  • I've attended several4  votes
    21%
  • I've only attended 14  votes
    21%
  • No8  votes
    42%
  • Other1  vote
    5%
I've attended all of them 
I've attended most of them 
I've attended several 
I've only attended 1 
No 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784
Staff

Jun-16

I missed the 10 year reunion in 1986 because we didn't have internet or E-mail contact.

But I did make the 20, 30 & 40 year reunions and hope to make the 2026 50-year reunion as well!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

I don’t have any interest. I kept up with everyone I wanted to and the rest didn’t matter so much.

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-17

I graduated high school in 1976 (Bi-centennial 200 year celebration of our country)!

As I mentioned, I didn't make it to the 10 year because they had no way to contact me, but after the internet sprawled... more and more of us got in contact with each other. 

Our 20 year had 800 attendees, our 30 year had 600 attendees, our 40 year had 500 attendees, and so I'm hoping our 50 year will have about a 400 attendee turnout. They discussed a 45 year reunion, but Covid knocked those plans out,

So I'm looking forward to our 2026 50-year reunion.

On another note: My younger brother graduated in 1978 and he said his 10 year reunion only drew 10 people and he hasn't been to one since.

So I guess it has to do with the planners as well as the students!

We always have 5 diligent planners who work about 1 year before the event to rent out an entire hotel, reserve a Yacht House Club for our dinner and hire caterers to prepare the food. We also have 4 buses running 15 minutes apart from the Hotel to the Yacht club to the beach and then back again... note... all the drinking places we used to hang out at were right on the beach. And yes... back then... 18 was the legal drinking age!

FWIW

• Edited June 17, 2022 6:20 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jun-17

When graduating classes are very close, people tend to turn out for reunions.

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-18

My Dad hae 24 turn out for his 60th reunion, but only 8 for the 70th reunion. Many of them had passed away. My Dad is now 92... so he may not make it to the 80th.

Both of my Aunts had large turnouts too.

Many of my seniors who graduated a few years before me in 1974 & 1975 also had fairly large turn outs. I think our 1976 turnout was probably the largest, but even 1974 & 1975 graduates had turnouts in the 200 ~ 400 range.

When I was a sophomore, we always hung out with our juniors and seniors. And then, when I became a junior, we continued to hang out with our own and our seniors, but thinking back on it... there were only 2 or 3 sophomores who hung out with us when we were juniors or seniors and that was because they were dating one of them. None of the others from the class of 1977 hung out with us.

And then, when I became a senior, there was only one junior who hung out with us because she was dating a senior but no sophomores at all. 

So it was the 1977 period onward where the mingling of classes seemed to have stopped.

FWIW

• Edited June 18, 2022 12:04 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

Schools with mingled classes might hold multi year reunions.  When I go to a college reunion everyone from the same time period is invited.

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-18

That could be due to the low turn out of a single class? 

Up until my Class of '76... we all held our own Class reunions, none of them mingled.

For our 30 and 40 year reunions, one person in my class married a girl from a younger class and that girl still attends our reunion but only because her husband was in our Class.

FWIW

• Edited June 18, 2022 12:50 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

I think it comes down to how close you are with former classmates and the school itself.  Does anyone still go back to the community?  I don’t think there is anyone left in the nearby area to even plan a reunion at my school.  They planned one that I was invited to but it wasn’t even near the school and was ridiculously expensive.  I think it would have cost around $700 for two people to attend when all expenses were included. Another year had a picnic and they got a huge turnout.

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-18

I think we have about 100 ~ 120 people who either live in the same city as our high school, or live just one or two cities away from where we all went to school. (i.e. A 15 ~ 30 minute drive away).

$350 per person is a bit expensive. 

Ours has always been $60 ~ $85 per person for the massive dinner... for the 1st few hours, drinks are separate, but after a certain amount has been collected, a notification is made that drinks are free the rest of the night. Excluding the price of the hotel.

The quarterback of our football team has his own company and he always chips in $5,000 as well as requests for donations from others to help those who cannot afford to attend are accepted as well... I always chip in $200 myself and many others chip in as well. This will help pay for those who live out of state to travel home for the event.

The hotel we stay in is about $85/night, but there are many other cheaper hotels and inns in the area nearby that some who cannot afford the hotel we booked stay at can stay in.

Edited to add: We also have a night on the town the night before too, but that expense is all on you. A shuttle bus will take us from the hotel right down to the strip where all the bars are and drop us off. Last bus back is 12:30AM... after that, it's a 30 minute walk or you pay for your own taxi. We usually start around 7PM and go bar hopping from one place to another with 10 ~ 15 people per group until the last bus. Some will stay out until 5AM... LOL. I always caught the last bus.

FWIW

• Edited June 18, 2022 10:20 pm  by  WALTER784