Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can you figure this out?   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Jun-25 by WALTER784; 193 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Jun-25

You don’t need to be well-versed in quantum physics or even complex math to solve Albert Einstein’s famous house riddle. All it takes to tackle the problem below is logic!

According to Popular Mechanics, the riddle goes like this: There are five houses lined up next to each other along a street. Each house is a different color, and each homeowner is of a different nationality, drinks a different beverage, smokes a different brand of cigar, and owns a different pet.   If these variables can never repeat from house to house, which homeowner has a pet fish? You should be able to figure out the answer based on these 15 clues:

1. The Englishman lives in the house with red walls.
2. The Swede keeps dogs.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The house with green walls is just to the left of the house with white walls.
5. The owner of the house with green walls drinks coffee.
6. The man who smokes Pall Mall keeps birds.
7. The owner of the house with yellow walls smokes Dunhills.
8. The man in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
11. The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks beer.
12. The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the house with blue walls.
15. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.

The popular lore of the riddle traces it back to Einstein's teaching days. According to the story, the scientist gave the riddle to students to discourage them from picking him as their academic advisor, though this is likely just a legend. Another dubious element has been added to the riddle's story since it hit the internet: Allegedly only 2 percent of the world's population can solve it.

Whether that figure is true or not, thinking through the problem takes some real brain power.

FWIW
Showtalk
Host

Jun-25

I figured out the colors. Still working on the rest.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-25

Got it. First I figured out the colors, then three of the nationalities, then five drinks, then smokes, then it all fell into place.  I’m writing the answer in white on white. I don't think only 2% can solve it. If you create a table and fill in the blanks through trial and error it's easy.  Find the house colors first, then it all falls into place.  To read it highlight below.

Darn it stripped out the code. Trying again in classic.

House #4 is Green, German, Coffee, Prince and FISH.  Well that didn't work either.  The new HTML doesn't allow for highlighting.  I will message you the answer if you like.  Did you figure it out yet?

• Edited June 25, 2022 4:21 pm  by  Showtalk
WALTER784
Staff

Jun-26

I saw your black on black version. You have to cursor over it to see the text, but it's visible.

I've figured them all out. I did it with a ball point pen and a piece of paper, but I didn't complete all of the colors first.

I'll show how I did it after others post.

FWIW

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-26

You start with something like this. Numbers 8, 9 & 14 are dead give aways as I've already filled in below. Then you use a process of elimination crossing out the ones you know... or think you know.

Item House #1 House #2 House #3 House #4 House #5
Drink     Milk    
Animal          
Country Norwegian        
Smoke          
Color   Blue      

1. The Englishman lives in the house with red walls.
2. The Swede keeps dogs.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The house with green walls is just to the left of the house with white walls. (Hint: This is good for process of elimination... the white house must be to the right of the green house... therefore it can be neither House #1 {because the blue house is to it's right} and it can also not be House #5 because there is no house to it's right... therefore, the Green house MUST BE House #3 or #4). So continue with similar logic like this for the rest.
5. The owner of the house with green walls drinks coffee.
6. The man who smokes Pall Mall keeps birds.
7. The owner of the house with yellow walls smokes Dunhills.
8. The man in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
11. The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks beer.
12. The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the house with blue walls.
15. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.

FWIW

• Edited June 26, 2022 1:04 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jun-26

My chart wasn’t so nice but I made a table also.  Find more,like this. They are fun!

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-26

This is how I completed mine... by hand...

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-26

Mine was similar.  Where is the next one?

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-27

LOL...

I'd have to look... my Mom showed me that one back when I was 10 or 11 years old.

FWIW