Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How Credible is Your News Source?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-30 by alankell; 713 views.
alankell

Jun-30

Something to think about when posting links to sources.  Some heavily referenced sources are simply not reliable.
I will very rarely post an opinion backed by a link to a news source, mostly because I care very little about political discussions.
When I do, I will try to ensure the source is believable.  When I read forum member's opinions, I gauge them by the quality of their sources.
Poorly chosen sources are given the exact same weight as no sources.
I think opinions from either of the most extreme ends of this spectrum are invalid, and I will immediately discard any opinions based on nonsense sources.

Enjoy.

https://adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart/

This site has an interactive chart that will tell you the credibility of news sources.  This is what the chart looks like but if you don't see a source on the chart, search for it on the website.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-30

That is your choice but since I started running this forum I noticed a few things.  

1. The sites who rate other sites always have some kind of bias whether they admit it or not. It’s not possible to be 100% unbiased. As an example Fox News is not always conservative. Yes, of their hosts are but they also have non conservatives on staff or as their experts. Geraldo and Gabbard speak often  and they are not conservative.  

2.  Even if you accept those sites in the center of that list as being close to unbiased, they don’t discuss every story. So if you want to research a topic and it’s not covered on those sites, how do you research it?

3. That site is flawed because it only counts stories they cover, but doesn’t show bias in studies they don’t cover because they aren’t there to study. Ignoring a study can show extreme bias.  Which would make those sites actually more on the left than the right, because it’s usually left sites that ignore stories.

4. One reason I started using alternative media is for that very reason.  Something happened locally to me and the other sites didn’t cover it correctly or at all. The only sites that covered it happened to be on the right but that was less of an issue than finding wrong data or nothing at all.

WALTER784
Staff

Jun-30

alankell said...

This site has an interactive chart that will tell you the credibility of news sources.

I would not consider posting lies and not posting many stories very reliable, but there you see it... just slightly left of center, CNN, Politco, Washington Post and others. (* ROFLMAO *)

Not a very credible chart if you ask me.

Per their own definition:

>>>The Media Bias Chart by Ad Fontes Media rates various media sources on two different scales: political bias (left to right) on the horizontal axis and reliability on the vertical axis. On the chart, sources are concentrated in an "inverted-U" shape as media sources with a neutral bias are generally reliable in their original fact reporting, while sources with an extreme bias on either side often contain factually inaccurate information and propaganda.<<<

All of the names I listed above should be near the bottom of the vertical bar for their known lies! But nope... they're right there near the middle where they don't belong!

FWIW

• Edited June 30, 2022 11:55 am  by  WALTER784
alankell

Jun-30

And of course, you noted where Gateway Pundit shows up on the chart.

It's not my chart.  I didn't design it.  However, I think it's useful, especially for people who seek guidance on what sources are trustworthy.  It's subject to interpretation, and full-fledged right wingers might view some publications as far left, when they are anything but.  They are merely further left than Gateway Pundit, which isn't hard to do.  From where Gateway Pundit sits, Fox News is a left wing mouthpiece.

CNN is likely farther to the left than it was in 2018, when this version of the chart was published.  But...I'm not quoting CNN, or any other service if I can help it.  I only write my own opinions, and they aren't political opinions.  My opinions only concern that fat, crooked, nacissisist mob boss Trump and his enablers.

If you use as your main source Gateway Pundit, I will discard it immediately.  I don't care what subject you address...I know the source is bogus.

For what it's worth, Walter.  For what it's worth.

alankell

Jun-30

If you want to read reports of events not covered by mainstream outlets, petition the outlets for expanded coverage.  Don't use bogus outlets.  If a respected outlet isn't telling the entire truth, it's a lead pipe cinch the bogus outlet isn't either.  The bogus outlet panders to its bias, and the bias of its readers.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-30

Your opinions on Trump and by extension your voting chooses, are based on emotions. Which is your choice in deciding how to vote.  

Showtalk
Host

Jun-30

Bogus is your interpretation. It’s also an excuse to avoid certain opinions that make you uncomfortable or angry. Again it’s your choice, but I choose to decide on facts, not emotions.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-30

Our forum has much more than politics. Check out some of the other polls. There are some fun topics here

alankell

Jun-30

I'm doing pretty much the same thing you are doing, except I have no extreme ideology, as you do.  I choose my sources to believe, as you do.  You feel you have discovered a truth of sorts...I feel the same.  For me, the words "Trump" and "Truth" cannot be fit into the same sentence or the same thought.  Trump tells lies because he has no other way to communicate.  Right wing media, in my opinion, facilitates his lies.

All media choose the stories they will run.  One gains nothing by exclusively relying on one source.  I think the extreme sources rely on lies for news...they need to present a face that's different from the mainstream.  If they aren't different, then they really have nothing to say.  I certainly don't believe they are providing solutions.  I believe they are the problem.