Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Engrish spelling problems   The Jovial You: Humor, Jokes and Riddles

Started Jul-1 by WALTER784; 98 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jul-1

Bending machine. Some Spanish accents also substitute a b for a v.

WALTER784
Staff

Jul-1

Yes, Japan doesn't have any "V" pronunciation so they use "B" too.

And as Japan doesn't have any single consonant sounds, it's always followed by a {aiueo}. So it would be {Ba}, {Bi}, {Bu}, {Be} or {Bo}.

And also notice... in the US we arrange our vowels as {aeiou}, where as both Spain and Japan arrange theirs {aiueo}.

FWIW 

Showtalk
Host

Jul-2

We actually have 11 commonly used vowel phonemes. There are 44 possible phonemes in the English language which could be why it’s so difficult to learn and to speak well,

https://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/44-phonemes-in-english.html

• Edited July 2, 2022 11:08 am  by  Showtalk
WALTER784
Staff

Jul-2

It's even more difficult for the Japanese for numerous reasons.

Our vowels {aeiou} all have the same pronunciation in Japan

So whether you're talking about a car, bat, ball, base, bass {fish}, bagel or what ever... they're all pronounced as the "a" in car or ball.

So to say bat in Japanese, it would be like "ba" (as in car or bar) followed by "to" because they don't have any pronunciation for just the "t" so the "t" must be combined with a vowel such that it's either "ta", "ti", "tu", "te" or "to"... and "to" just happens to sound the closest, so bat becomes bato (with "a" pronounced as car or bar)! LOL

And I'm serious. 

They also don't have a pronunciation for the letter "l" and thus it gets pronounced with an "r".

That means that "right" or "ra-i-to" and "light" or "ra-i-to" are pronounced the same. (* CHUCKLE *)

That's why it's so difficult for Japanese to speak English.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-2

I can understand that. Japanese is taught in American high schools. It’s very trendy.