Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

  • 5079
  • 132839
  • 3


Good guy with a gun...   The Curious You: Beliefs and Ideas

Started 4/24/23 by WALTER784; 3988 views.

From: WALTER784


Portland, Oregon

Grand jury found no criminal wrongdoing in shooting by Mystic Club bouncer of masked gunman

Updated: Jan. 31, 2014, 3:10 p.m. | Published: Jan. 31, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

The Mystic Gentlemen's Club in Southeast Portland, where bouncer Brian T. Rizzo was critically wounded by a masked gunman who shot him in the head after he had been refused entry 30 minutes earlier on Jan. 11. Rizzo's co-worker, bouncer Jonathan Baer, 31, then shot the masked gunman in the back, killing him.
(Thomas Boyd/The Oregonian)
A Multnomah County grand jury has found a Portland bouncer's fatal shooting of a masked gunman justified under state law.
Mystic Gentlemen's Club bouncer Jonathan Baer, 31, will not face criminal charges, the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office announced Friday.
"We're thrilled," said Connie R. Barnes, one of the club's owners. "He saved lives as far as I'm concerned.''
Baer shot the gunman in the upper back as he was walking out of the club. Baer had just seen the man shoot his co-worker, Brian T. Rizzo, in the head with a revolver.
Rizzo, 26, remains hospitalized. He was in a medically induced coma for several days after the shooting, but is being weaned off the medication and is breathing on his own, friends said
Baer had arrived at the Southeast Portland strip club on Jan. 11 a bit earlier than his usual 9 p.m. Saturday shift when a man who had been refused entry returned to the club wearing a Halloween mask about 8:30 p.m. The man fired three shots inside, critically wounding Rizzo. A bullet also lodged in the foot of a patron, Gonzalo Zamora-Hernandez, 31, and a waitress, Nichole Danielle Procter, 27, suffered a graze wound, police said.
As Rizzo collapsed, Baer followed the gunman, Thomas Elliott Hjelmeland, 43, as he walked out, then fired as Hjelmeland reached the club's exit door, Barnes said. Hjelmeland fell to the ground and later died from the single gunshot wound to the back, an autopsy showed. Hjelmeland was carrying a Taurus 6 shot .357-caliber revolver, police said.
Barnes said she believes Baer acted responsibly and stopped Hjelmeland before he got to the parking lot where he could have harmed others who were smoking or milling about. Barnes said a review of the club's video surveillance images showed that at least eight people were outside at the time.
During a search of Hjelmeland's car, parked on a street near the club, police found plastic bags holding multiple rounds of .38-caliber and .357-caliber ammunition and buckshot rounds. Police also found another Halloween-type mask and 10 31-round Glock pistol magazines, fully loaded. Some of the magazines were taped together, generally done to allow for rapid reloading, Sgt. Pete Simpson said.
It's not clear what Hjelmeland intended to do with the other ammunition, Simpson said. Hjelmeland was carrying only the revolver, police said.
Baer has a concealed handgun license and had a Glock model 23 .40-caliber pistol that night, Simpson said.
But the bouncer, even though he was working as a private security guard, did not have the extra powers afforded peace officers in the state and was viewed as a private person would be under state law, Multnomah County Chief Deputy District Attorney Don Rees said.
Under Oregon law, people are not justified in using deadly force on someone else unless they reasonably believe that the other person is: committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; committing or attempting to commit a burglary or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person.
Further, state law says a person is justified in using physical force on another person for self-defense or to defend a third person.
In a post on his Facebook page, Baer explained his actions: "I did what I felt was right to stop the shooter... I carry every day, and will continue to, and will so with the hope that I will NEVER have to pull it out again.''
On weekend nights, the club has a general manager and two bouncers working - each licensed by the state as unarmed private security officers. Baer was new to the club, state records show. He was hired by Allure Entertainment Inc./Mystic on Jan. 4, and was working under a temporary work permit issued by the state Department of Public Safety, Standards and Training.
The temporary permit allows someone to legally work while their license application is processed, said Brian Henson, the state agency's acting program manager for its Private Security/Investigator's Licensing Program. Baer had completed a written exam, a four-hour assessment and eight-hour classroom instruction in late December to serve as an unarmed private security officer. He was not licensed as a private security officer to carry a firearm on the job, Henson said.
The state agency will conduct its own review of Baer's actions.

Grand jury found no criminal wrongdoing in shooting by Mystic Club bouncer of masked gunman - oregonlive.com


  • Edited September 23, 2023 1:14 am  by  WALTER784
In reply toRe: msg 9

From: WALTER784


Chicago, Illinois

Authorities: Military service member with concealed carry permit shoots attacker

By Geoff Ziezulewicz - Chicago Tribune
Last Updated: Jul 07, 2014 at 7:23 am

A Gresham man fired on a group of people leaving a party, only to be shot himself by one of the victims, a military service member with a concealed carry permit, authorities said.
The military member and three others were leaving a party Friday night in the 11700 block of South Union Avenue in West Pullman, Assistant State's Attorney Mary Hain said during a court hearing Sunday.
One of the victims had noticed a cup of liquor on top of her vehicle and asked attendees of a party next door who it belonged to, Hain said.
When she removed it, Denzel A. Mickiel approached her, shouting obscenities and threatening her and her friends, according to Hain and court records.
Mickiel, 22, went into the residence, returned with a gun and began firing at the group, she said.
As Mickiel fired at the victims' vehicle, the military member retrieved his gun and took cover near the vehicle's front fender, according to Hain. Two unidentified people also shot at the group, she said.
The military service member fired two shots and struck Mickiel twice, she said.
A 22-year-old woman in the group was injured by Mickiel in the shooting, suffering wounds to the arm and back, according to court records and Hain.
The four victims escaped the melee in two vehicles as two unidentified people continued to shoot at them, Hain said.
Mickiel was identified as the gunman by witnesses, she said.
The injured woman was stabilized and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.
Mickiel, of the 7600 block of South Honore Street, was transported to Advocate Christ in critical condition, according to police.
He remained hospitalized Sunday and did not appear in court but was ordered held on $950,000 bail. He is charged with attempted murder.

Authorities: Military service member with concealed carry permit shoots attacker (chicagotribune.com)


In reply toRe: msg 10

From: WALTER784


Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Gunman Shot Dead Inside West Philadelphia Barbershop

MARCH 22, 2015 / 5:12 PM

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Police say the lives of several people were likely saved by a man who shot and killed a gunman inside a West Philadelphia barbershop.
It happened just before 3 p.m. Sunday inside Falah Barbershop Inc. along the 600 block of North Preston Street in the city's Mantua section.
Police say a 40-year-old man was inside the barbershop when he started fighting with another person inside. The altercation quickly escalated and the man pulled out a gun and opened fire.
At that point, authorities say, another unidentified man took out his own gun and the shot the gunman multiple times in the chest. He was rushed to Presbyterian Hospital where he later died from his injuries.
The man who shot and killed him later surrendered to authorities at 16th District headquarters, but it wasn't immediately known if he would face any charges.
"The person who responded was a legal gun permit carrier," said Philadelphia Police Captain Frank Llewellyn. "He responded and I guess he saved a lot of people in there."
Police say there was a crowd of patrons inside the shop at the time of the shooting, including several children, but no one else was injured.
"There were numerous people in there," Captain Llewellyn said. "So it could have been a lot worse."
Homicide detectives are investigating the shooting, but say it appears this was a case of self-defense.

Gunman Shot Dead Inside West Philadelphia Barbershop - CBS Philadelphia (cbsnews.com)


In reply toRe: msg 11

From: WALTER784


New Holland, South Carolina

Armed S.C. Firefighters Detain Man Who Fired Shots in Station Lot

There were children and firefighters in the New Holland Fire Department parking lot when the man fired shots.

May 9, 2015
Source Firehouse.com News

A man who fired shots in a South Carolina fire station parking lot crowded with children was subdued by armed firefighters.
Chad Barker got out of his car in the parking lot of New Holland Fire Department and started firing into the air and at his vehicle, according to WISTV.
He also is accused pointing the gun at individual firefighters for lengthy periods of time.
"I came out of the office, saw the man with the gun, told everybody to leave out the back quickly that there was a man in the parking lot with a gun, and I was not kidding,” Firefighter Gary Knoll told reporters.
Knoll and another firefighter, who have concealed weapons permits, pulled their own guns on the man, who returned to his vehicle.
The firefighters convinced Barker to put the gun down, and Knoll grabbed it, the station reported.
They detained Barker, who then began beating his head on the ground, until deputies arrived.
Barker has been charged with two counts of pointing and presenting a firearm.
Knoll said he is relieved no one was injured, adding that the law that allows he and other firefighters to carry guns made the difference. 

Armed S.C. Firefighters Detain Man Who Fired Shots in Station Lot | Firehouse


In reply toRe: msg 12

From: WALTER784


Conyers, Georgia

Customer who returned fire at Rockdale County murder suspect called 'hero'

Alice Queen
May 31, 2015

CONYERS — A customer who fired back at the suspect who killed two people in a Ga. Highway 20 liquor store Sunday afternoon is being hailed as a hero.
Rockdale County Sheriff Eric Levett said at a press conference Monday that Todd C. Scott, 44, a resident of Covington, very likely prevented other customers in the store from losing their lives.
Levett said store video from Magnet Bottle Shop showed that the suspect, Jeffrey Scott Pitts, 36, came in the store Sunday afternoon firing a handgun.
“I believe that if Mr. Scott did not return fire at the suspect then more of those customers would have hit by a gun,” said Levett. “It didn’t appear that he cared who he shot or where he was shooting until someone was shooting back at him. So in my opinion he saved other lives in that store.”
Pitts killed a store clerk and a customer before fleeing to his home in the 3500 block of Ebenezer Road where police said he wounded both his mother and father. When officers arrived at the house, Pitts reportedly fired at them and was shot and killed.
Authorities identified the two victims from the liquor store on Monday as Conyers resident Mun Hyuk Cha, 44, the store clerk, and Covington resident Otonicar Jimquez Aikens, 39, a customer at the store. Aikens died at the scene; Cha was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta where he later died.
At Monday’s press conference at RCSO headquarters, Levett outlined the sequence of events Sunday that sparked the shooting rampage. Pitts, a frequent customer, reportedly went to the package store sometime around noon where he became involved in an argument, possibly over money owed to the store. At some point the store clerk took Pitts’ ID and refused to return it until Pitts reportedly went out to his car, retrieved a handgun, returned inside the store and pointed it at the clerks. He then took his license and left the store.
The incident was reported to the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office and deputies began to look for Pitts. At one point, Levett said a deputy went to the suspect’s house on Ebenezer Road, but Pitts was not there.
Several hours later, shortly before 5 p.m., Pitts returned to the store and immediately began firing. There were apparently two clerks and four customers in the store at the time.
Pitts then returned home where he wounded his 64-year-old mother and 63-year-old father. Levett said 911 received a “hysterical” call from a woman, apparently Pitts’ mother, and four deputies and one Conyers Police Department officer responded.
Authorities said multiple rounds of gunfire were exchanged between Pitts and Deputy Brad Lockridge before Pitts was fatally wounded. Lockridge was not injured in the incident. Pitts was reportedly armed with a .45-caliber handgun and an AR-15 with a 100-round capacity double drum magazine. Pitts was wearing a ballistics vest and had a weight plate inside the vest.
Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Sherry Lang said an autopsy was performed on Pitts at the GBI crime lab on Monday. She said the medical examiner had not released the number of times Pitts was wounded, which wound proved fatal, nor whether he died of a self-inflicted gunshot.
Lang also said that the GBI had video footage of the shootout with authorities and she expected it to be released sometime Tuesday.
Levett also had praise for the way that Deputy Lockridge handled the incident.
“He did a great job,” said Levett. “He assessed the scene even en route, and as he arrived he began giving orders to the other officers on scene. He armed himself with what he needed to arm himself with, and he approached the scene in a safe manner, taking cover…. I believe that’s the reason he’s home today, and all the other deputies.”
Levett said Lockridge and two other deputies on the scene were armed with assault rifles.
Authorities said it was unknown if Pitts had any history of mental illness. According to the RCSO, he was convicted of DUI and misdemeanor marijuana possession in Newton County in 2010 and was ordered to pay a fine, perform community service and serve 12 months on probation. Levett said he knew of no other instances when deputies had been called to Pitts’ residence.
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 13

From: WALTER784


Winton, Ohio

Argument between man and woman turns into gunfight

by Hannah G. Jones
Tue, July 28th 2015, 10:33 AM GMT+9

CINCINNATI (WKRC) -- An argument between a man and a woman turned into a gunfight in a local neighborhood.Police said Thomas McCary and a woman began fighting outside an apartment on Holland Drive in Winton Terrace Sunday night, July 26, when McCary began firing shots. The woman's brother, who had a concealed carry permit, returned fire hitting McCary once in the leg. Police said after being shot, McCary went into his home and came out with a gun in each hand and started firing more shots at the woman and her 1-year-old child. According to court documents the woman's brother fired more shots to try to divert McCary's attention and he ended up being the only one hit. Officers finally took McCary to jail after crews treated his gunshot wound.

Argument between man and woman turns into gunfight | WKRC (local12.com)


In reply toRe: msg 14

From: WALTER784


Lyman, South Carolina

Deputies: Man opens fire in S.C. bar, draws return fire

Published June 30, 2016
FOX 5 Atlanta

LYMAN, S.C. - Gun rights advocates and at least one South Carolina sheriff are crediting a man with a concealed carry permit  with preventing further violence at a nightclub this past Sunday.
The Spartanburg Herald-Journal reported that Jody Ray Thompson, 32, was arrested on four counts of attempted murder after investigators said he opened fired in the crowded Playoffz nightclub in Spartanburg County, S.C. Deputies said three people were shot before a man with a legal concealed weapons permit fired back using his own handgun, striking Thompson in the leg.
"It's almost like.. having a concealed carrier on the spot can stop active shooters," wrote Eden Rose, better known by her online moniker of Lil Red Danger, on her Facebook page about the shooting.
The YouTube star, whose videos documenting her gun training have gained her thousands of viewers, replied back to one of the commenters in her post "I'd love to live in a fairy tale land where nobody hurts each other but that's not how human nature works. People are violent - particularly towards each other. I learned this the hard way and quickly learned that at 5' tall and 100 pounds, a firearm is the best option to protect myself."
Others took to social media wondering why they had not heard about the incident.
The NRA also tweeted chastising the media for not reporting on the incident, but some people were not so quick to praise the man's actions.
Thompson was also charged with possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime and unlawful carrying of a weapon. He remains in the Spartanburg County Jail.
Police said the three people who were shot are expected to be OK.
Investigators said the man who fired back at Thompson will not face any criminal charges because deputies believe he acted in self-defense.

Deputies: Man opens fire in S.C. bar, draws return fire (fox5atlanta.com)


In reply toRe: msg 15

From: WALTER784


Arlington, Texas

'Hero' stopped mass murder by crazed bar patron who was armed to the teeth, police say

"We do believe he had the capacity to do much greater harm," Cook said of the gunman.

By Marc Ramirez and Liz Farmer
12:45 PM on May 4, 2017 GMT-5

A concealed carry holder is being heralded as a hero by Arlington police for preventing mass murder by killing an "incoherent" gunman at a sports bar Wednesday evening.
Before he was shot about 6:15 p.m., the gunman killed the manager of Zona Caliente in the 6500 block of South Cooper Street, police spokesman Christopher Cook said.
Police later identified the gunman as 48-year-old James Jones of Grand Prairie and the victim as 37-year-old Cesar Perez of Duncanville. The man who killed Jones has not been identified.
Authorities later found two loaded guns and two knives on Jones, Cook said Thursday.
"We do believe he had the capacity to do much greater harm," Cook said.
When Jones entered the business, some witnesses told police, he started yelling incoherently while standing at the bar.
"People didn't know who he was yelling at," Cook said.
Zona Caliente in south Arlington(Tom Fox / The Dallas Morning News)
Perez was trying to talk to Jones when he was fatally shot. Police do not believe they knew each other.
That's when a customer fired his gun at Jones.
"After he was struck once, the suspect started shooting at the front door," Cook told the Arlington Voice. "We know people were trying to escape, but we're not sure if he was just trying to harm others."
More than a dozen customers and a handful of employees were in the sports bar at the time of the shooting.
Cook said the customer, who was dining with his wife, "prevented further loss of life."
The customer was carrying a handgun under the Texas concealed handgun license program, Cook later confirmed.
"We're treating the good guy as sort of a hero," he said.
One other person was hurt, though it wasn't clear if it was a restaurant customer or employee. Police said that person was injured by glass while trying to get out.
Friends took to social media to honor Perez.
More than 100 people reacted to a post on his personal profile that his sister wrote.

'Hero' stopped mass murder by crazed bar patron who was armed to the teeth, police say (dallasnews.com)


In reply toRe: msg 16

From: WALTER784


San Antonio, Texas

Father Fatally Shoots Robber Who Pointed Gun at His Children in Popeyes

DECEMBER 8, 2017 7:47 AM EST

A father fatally shot an armed robber who threatened him and his family at a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen in San Antonio, Texas.
Officers told Fox San Antonio that 19-year-old Andrews Herrera was killed after he approached Carlos Molina, 32, just before 9 p.m. Wednesday. Molina was eating at the fried chicken chain with his family when Herrera demanded that he hand over his property and threatened his children with a gun, police say.
According to the news site, Molina told Herrera that he had no money and asked whether his family could leave. Most of the family left the restaurant, but Herrera then pointed the gun at two of Molina’s children as they walked out of a restroom. In response, Molina drew his licensed handgun and shot Herrera several times, fatally wounding him, police said.
Officers believe Molina shot Herrera “in defense of a third person,” according to Fox San Antonia.

Texas Father Shoots Robber Who Threatened Kids at Popeyes | Time



From: Showtalk


I didn’t expect to see firefighters were armed