Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should new TV episodes reflect news?    The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Nov-16 by Showtalk; 266 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Nov-16

Should news TV episodes reflect today's health and political news?
  • Yes, they should support investigations of police0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, they should include current Covid news0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, they should cover the 2020 elections0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, they should talk about systemic racism0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, 1 and 41  vote
    7%
  • Yes, 1, 2 and 40  votes
    0%
  • Yes, all of the above2  votes
    15%
  • Not unless it fits the storyline and characters of that show5  votes
    38%
  • No, current events are outdated by the time a show airs1  vote
    7%
  • No, I want to be entertained and those subjects are not fun to watch2  votes
    15%
  • I'm not sure0  votes
    0%
  • I don't watch television and don't have an opinion1  vote
    7%
  • Other1  vote
    7%
Yes, they should support investigations of police 
Yes, they should include current Covid news 
Yes, they should cover the 2020 elections 
Yes, they should talk about systemic racism 
Yes, 1 and 4 
Yes, 1, 2 and 4 
Yes, all of the above 
Not unless it fits the storyline and characters of that show 
No, current events are outdated by the time a show airs 
No, I want to be entertained and those subjects are not fun to watch 
I'm not sure 
I don't watch television and don't have an opinion 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-23

Each show has its own way of dealing with current news.  the worst are shows that have people wearing masks just enough to indicate Covid and the pandemic, then taking them off to talk so we can understand them. I saw this on NCIS New Orleans and a few others.  

The medical shows are dealing with Covid a little, but are also getting over it relatively quickly. The Good Doctor showed two weeks of Covid stories, then said they are moving ahead to post pandemic.

The police shows are all showing some aspects of police brutality and racism, even shows that were never racist. Apparently they are, like Law and Order SVU. All Rise showed a judge getting arrested for being black and protecting a protestor.  Chicago PD has a blue line story, and some offensive police practices by Voight.  

NCIS Los Angeles is showing most of their characters either working alone or distancing. They even used a green screen so they could have a scene with an older actor with a young one.

It looks like they are trying to be careful and socially responsible, but some of their stories are forced and little fake. What have you noticed?

• Edited November 23, 2020 11:22 pm  by  Showtalk
kizmet1

Nov-24

It is not so much as what you asked.
If you lived during Civil War, WW1, WW2, etc and every book was about war would you like it and read all? A little bit if reality is nice but a lot is too much. What I watched a lot of were some of the talk shows social distancing. A couple even had the cohosts in their individual homes. Now, all are back in the studio on either end of a 6' long table.
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-24

There are two different aspects. One is the natural distancing they might be doing in real time because of Covid. The other is what they have chosen to write into their storylines.  I’m guessing the headline news will fade away while they focus on their usual storylines.

Police storylines fit naturally into police or courtrooms dramas.  Not as much into other types of shows.

kizmet1

Nov-24

What you say us very true but I feel our nation and even our world needs a lot if "escapism" right now to give everyone hope of a healthier life than we have now. If we watch a show about the virus it would have to include episides where some did nit social distance or use masks and because of it, many more got sick.
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-24

Yes we need escapism and we need more fun in our lives while we are stuck inside or with limited activity.  Fortunately there is a lot out there beyond new programming.

kizmet1

Nov-24

I love old movies and watched a lot on tv when growing up. One lest a distinct mark on my memory. It starred Veronica Lake and someone named "Dan" (Daily?) I think. A movie maker was in disguise to gather material for a movie about the Great Depression. Somehow he met Lake and they travelled together. They saw a lot of misery. They went to a movie and saw everyone laughing at a comedy. The man changed his opinion of what kind of movie he wanted to make after seeing everyone laugh.
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-24

Sullivan’s Travels? I looked it up.

kizmet1

Nov-24

Yes, that is it.
Showtalk
Staff

Nov-24

It’s a comedy.