Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you believe in school choice?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Sep-9 by Showtalk; 1451 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Sep-9

Do you believe in school choice?
  • Yes, students should receive tuition credits for private or religious schools7  votes
    63%
  • Yes, but choice for public schools only0  votes
    0%
  • No, children should go to their local public schools3  votes
    27%
  • No, children should be able to apply to public schools like in NYC1  vote
    9%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, students should receive tuition credits for private or religious schools 
Yes, but choice for public schools only 
No, children should go to their local public schools 
No, children should be able to apply to public schools like in NYC 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Sep-9

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Sep-9

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Sep-9

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Sep-9

Voted 3, having gone to a public school myself I can say it was a decent education that prepared me for University and fostered my acting talent when I needed mentorship and training which helped me immensely, the problem with public schools is that they have to be funded and when special interests get control in Government funding for schools is often the first thing diverted away, which disadvantages kids vs kids whose parents can afford to send them to a private school, if we just funded public education the way it was meant to be I think we'd all be better off for it. 

Showtalk
Host

Sep-9

What if disadvantaged children could attend quality private schools or charter schools?  I knew a few young adults who teach in charter schools that are all minority students.  With a strong education, they are doing as well or better than the public school kids of all races. I agree, public schools need basic funding but there is nothing to force them to be good schools.  School choice would force them to clean themselves up and provide some competition.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Sep-9

Who pays for that though? Seems to me some reform of schools is needed but as long as you have richer than rich parents sending their kids to private schools you're going to have a class of advantaged kids over those who aren't and that means unequal opportunity going forward.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-10

So children of parents in the middle who could afford private schools with help have to suffer because someone else can’t afford it at all? That reasoning is prevalent but it never made sense to me.  We have schools in the U.S. where 100% of the children can’t read or do math at grade level.

Marci (marcinmin)

Sep-10

Parents already have choice. a voucher is essentially just a coupon. Most Parents cant afford private schools except for some religious ones, but they will cost more than public ones no matter what. IMO, Taxpayer money should not be used for religious schools 

Showtalk
Host

Sep-10

And yet California schools are now mandated to teach religion, as long as it’s not Judaism or Christianity.  Some schools require children to do obscure religious chants as part of “mindfulness.”   It’s very bizarre.