Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are You Finding Empty Shelves Due to Pandemic Preparations?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 3/9/20 by BWArtist; 6157 views.
MerlinsDad

Apr-14

I'm one of those who relies on my mechanic to tell me when I need repairs or new auxiliaries.  Thank goodness for AAA.  I am one of the least mechanical people you know.  My wife's more mechanical than I am.  In fact, she's pretty good at this stuff.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-14

Oh, yes you are lucky.

MerlinsDad

Apr-14

Yes, I am.  And I know it.

Showtalk said:

Now we are hearing more about why TP is scarce. People are using more at home because they are not using work or restaurant bathrooms. We can’t get as much imported. There is plenty of commercial grade product.

That is exactly what was being discussed on the local 2 meter repeater right after the net was adjourned, last night.

The logistical hurdle is finding where to order commercial grade product, and not have incredibly steep freight costs because TP is rather bulky so it is not cheap to ship in small lots.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-15

They will figure it out if they want to sell it.

Some apparently have. I just wish more of them knew how to do a web page that didn't use security hazards like cross-domain scripting to just display basic content. I tried to open the link in the article, but NoScript and UBlock Origin threw out "eleventy bazillion" potential malicious script blocked warnings.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-15

There are some terrible websites.  I’m not sure why every business doesn’t at least have a simple and safe website.

Showtalk said:

There are some terrible websites. I’m not sure why every business doesn’t at least have a simple and safe website.

Probably because it actually costs money if the sales and marketing department don't also have some people who know how to build a good clean simple website.

And what surprises me are the number of Fortune 500 websites that have no real useful content.

Meanwhile - if you are looking for electronics components, people in that industry have set up incredibly effective parametric searches and related database functions in the back end that you can actually use effectively. You can narrow down a search from millions of components down to a few that meet your specs, can exclude anything that isn't already in stock or normally stocked, exclude "not recommended for new designs", and other related things.

So if you need a full wave bridge that fits a 0.500" center square footprint, and needs a 200 volt minimum breakdown voltage, and 3 amp minimum forward current, you can eliminate thousands of other devices to focus in on just these.

You also can include anything that exceeds those electrical specs, so you aren't accidentally specifying a sole source component in your parts list for the widgets you are about to manufacture, and then you can sort by price for the volume you are going to use, and discover an entire arrange of components that can be freely substituted in the product and have everything work properly.

In case 2 years from now half of the parts you found today for this present production run have been discontinued, you still have a bunch of others on the list to choose from that has been filtered down, or you can quickly re-run the search to see if new functionally equivalent parts have appeared since the last time you built a batch of those power supplies.

Showtalk
Staff

Apr-18

If you collect parts and know what to do with them, it’s useful to locate and buy what you might need. Most people don’t.

I wonder if those big companies don’t want more usable websites.  When there isn’t much to find on a site, I look to see where they are directing you.  Like to a retail store or outlet.

Showtalk said:

I wonder if those big companies don’t want more usable websites. When there isn’t much to find on a site, I look to see where they are directing you. Like to a retail store or outlet.

Those with poorly done websites are going to lose a lot of sales when people are looking for some way to find product other than standing in line at a store that closes hours before sunset and opens well after the normal start of a workday, in the hopes that they might find what they are looking for, while also worrying about if they have been exposed to some asymptomatic spreader's virus.