Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you Comfortable with Trump taking Malaria Drug?   The Serious You: Politics

Started May-18 by BWArtist; 4478 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-9

You can be sad for them.  

Jeri (azpaints) said:

get your recipes from a cook, not a politician, have a dog trainer train your dog, not a politician, have a building contractor build your house, not a politician.

... and get a qualified engineer to design your bridge, not a politician. And even then sometimes they get it wrong and learn something the hard way - witness the 1940 destruction of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-14

I thought politicians like to build bridges.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-14

Or the recent massive bridge collapse.  Senior moment, I can't remember where!

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-14

Only in Alaska to a town of 40? people.

Well, about the only politician whose engineering skills I'd even remotely risk life and limb as to its quality might be Jimmy Carter, who is pretty skilled with building Habitat for Humanity homes, which are well renowned for their craftsmanship.

For example when Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida, the Habitat for Humanity homes were the places still standing amid vast block after block after block reduced to rubble, because they actually followed the building code to the letter, while various developers did everything on the cheap to maximize markup on their "little boxes made of ticky-tacky"

Jeri (azpaints) said:

Or the recent massive bridge collapse. Senior moment, I can't remember where!

Depends on the definition of "recent". There was one in Minneapolis / St Paul that dropped cars into the Mississippi River in the middle of commute time. I remember distinctly seeing a "engineering disasters" documentary that featured it along with some other spectacular structural failures through history, and then did an analysis of what caused it to fail.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-14

Who said “We build bridges, not walls.” ?