Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Park confrontation    The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 5/26/20 by Showtalk; 2662 views.
kizmet1

Jun-1

Re: rioters from out of town.
Sundays rioting in Portland started with iver 1,000 people meeting in an eastside park and walking in the street to the river, crossing the bridge and rioting. Media said it was worse than Friday. Media also noticed a lot of cars with WA license plates dropping people off at park.
On Friday high end stores like MSFT and Apple were broken into and robbed. The city owned Justice center was set on fire Friday. On Sunday the Federal Bldg was hit. Fires started. Small, family owned ethnic restaurants were still cleaning up after Friday and hit again. Many think Antifa is responsible. The crowd looked like a mixture of races and even women.
I am about 15-20 miles from heart of Portland in a strictly residential area with no police. I know from experience cops will not come. My mayor is Black but I don't know if that would stop people who want to riot and destroy homes. I have been leaving every 2 weeks for food but don't know how safe it will be this week.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

They don’t really have a choice unless they plan to sit there and get shot.  Cities need to get this under control.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

There won’t be deliveries to those hot zones as long as there is danger.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

Your area is probably safe.  They seem to target densely populated areas, like the heart of big cities.

kizmet1

Jun-1

I hope we are safe. Trouble is, most do not know we are not part of bigger, wealthier city next to us. Also, we are very close to freeway.

Yep. They couldn't pay me enough to try and go into one of those areas. Whether it's linemen trying to restore electricity, if it's truckers delivering goods, IT people getting cellular service and internet back going, most of them would be just going "Nope. Not gonna risk my life and limb. Let them starve in the dark without internet, phone service, trash collection, or anything else. And no one's gonna respond to 911 any more either."

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

There aren’t enough police to stop rioters and looters.  If the pandemic didn’t destroy enough businesses, burning them down will.  People are rightly furious.  I wonder how many mayors will escape blame for their bad decisions.  They could have stopped it before it escalated but from the outside, it appears they sat back and allowed it to happen.

In reply toRe: msg 49
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-1

Showtalk said:

There won’t be deliveries to those hot zones as long as there is danger.

Yeah. I'd be worried even risking a drone to deliver something there. Rule #1 of war zones like that - stay out of them.

I could also see even the trucking companies - the truckers' bosses, finally going, "our insurance probably won't pay for an 18 wheeler if the mob surrounds and torches it, and the cost of defending a driver who has to run people over to escape is also too much risk, so we're not delivering anything in there for the duration."

And I can see utility companies going "we aren't going to put our personnel's lives in danger, and we can't risk losing our trucks to arson. Power goes out? Too bad." And same for water, sewer, internet.

Then of course - oh, wonder how many cases of Covid-19 will erupt among the protestors in a couple of weeks. Probably a huge number.

I heard that Chicago shut down the bus and rail lines with less than 45 minutes notice, trapping medical personnel where they can't get to work or others get home. I wonder how many patients are going to die because of the curfews.