Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome to Arizona   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jun-6 by Jeri (azpaints); 11880 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-6

Arizona has neen open about 3 weeks and is in negotiations to have the RNC convention here, along with several major sporting events.  BYOM

Arizona Reports Record Single-Day Rise in Coronavirus Cases and ER Visits
June 05, 2020

Read in Newsweek: https://apple.news/AR59KRMe3RGWUV9JugDajYA

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-6

Scary, that's for sure since I now have to go out whether I want to or not.

kizmet1

Jun-6

No room left for you.
It doesn't matter which side of anything you are rooting for. It is the crowds coming to visit your fresh air.
Jeri (azpaints) said:

And our sun

I wonder if the UV from direct sunlight helps deactivate most of the viral particles, and thus reduce (but not totally eliminate) outdoor person to person spread.

Same with dessicating heat, which is more extreme in southern AZ than it is in west TX. I just spread out laundry on the truck tailgate that was wet out of the washing machine and it was bone dry within only about 15 minutes.

A huge wad of snot landing on a hot dry rock was completely dry in about 5 minutes, which would make a good stand-in for droplets.

The speed at which droplets totally become devoid of moisture and concentrate any dissolved salts to levels that destroy most pathogens is inversely proportional to the square of their diameter. The square vs cube rule means smaller droplets have a much smaller volume to surface area ratio than large droplets, combined with far less distance to the center for water to evaporate.

So they would still remain airborne as dust but effectively dried out. At least the understanding of viruses a doctor told me a couple of decades ago with some other dread disease outbreak, indicates they don't fare very well outside of some kind of moisture.

That might bear out why nearly all the cases in the Permian Basin were from indoor exposure at normal temperatures and humidities.

Of course the kind of dry heat we have causes nearly all complex organisms not specifically evolve for the conditions to not last too long unprotected. Some Darwin Award nominee tried to hike across the bottom of Death Valley and back in July one year. Evidently he ran out of water and quickly collapsed. They had to wait until about 2 AM to send out a recovery team, and I think it was delayed another 24 hours due to logistics or something. The corpse they recovered barely weighed maybe 45 to 50 pounds, when the living person who went out there started out at nearly 200 pounds.

So mummification was incredibly fast in that kind of heat.

kizmet1

Jun-6

Good time to plan a long drive far from the crowds.
Are you close to convention area and stadiums?
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-6

I doubt it.  We wouldn't be that lucky to have UV light kill it off.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-6

Yes to three sports complexes.  Two of which are major arenas...Super Bowl  70,000 plus seating.

kizmet1

Jun-6

I hope you don't have a mob scene if you get the convention.