Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can we beat COVID 19 like New Zealand did?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jun-10 by Showtalk; 651 views.

I just packed up some resistors that are red, red, silver, a slight gap, and gold banded. The slight gap is to be certain you're not reading it from the wrong end. They are 0.22 ohm.

They are actually half watt in a quarter watt form factor because of a ceramic substrate and coating so they can get a lot hotter than a typical carbon composition type.

They are really used as a slow blow fuse for a normal short circuit kind of situation, but in a lightning strike event, they actually explode quite nicely, and allow less destructive energy into the system, improving the odds that the circuit board is repairable.

And some experiments indicated they will blow faster than an actual fuse during a lightning or serious EMP event, giving the spark gap and MOV and transorb circuitry more time to short / clamp, and even thanks to a slight inductance due to how the resistor element is made, also slows down the rise time by enough nanoseconds to "flatten the curve" as it blows.

Yeah, it's sad to see how some of those products aren't going to be built any more.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-17

It would be sad.  But businesses go where the market directs them.

BWArtist

Jun-17

22 states have the virus back on the upswing. Forget calling this the second wave. Experts are saying we never got out of the first wave. Autumn will probably smack the deniers  up  side the head like a 2 x 4.

Middle of the roaders too.

Yeah. And those too slow to change are Darwinned out and are replaced by those who embrace the changes. Or those who correctly anticipate it and get ahead of it rather than react to it.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-18

The economy did very well in May so some businesses have managed to weather the shutdown.

Those who were out ahead of everything and ready to take up the slack did well. Some, whose goods and services specifically filled unmet needs, did very, very well and thrived.

Kind of like in the book "Who Moved My Cheese", when the old sources dried up, there was something new somewhere else.

Airlines, cruise ships, nope. Masks manufactures, yep. Home delivery type services, yep. Drive-through carryout - absolutely booming. Internet infrastructure upgrading and build-out - booming. Long haul trucking - doing quite well. Air freight doing well, even acquiring surplus jets from airliners to strip out the seats and convert to cargo.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-18

Posted by me on FB:  

Isn’t it GREAT? Arizona set THREE new Covid records today! Go Ducey, you’re killing your state voters!????

Sent from my iPad
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-18

Yes, they fill the void.