Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will you be Buying and Reading John Bolton's Finally Released Book?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-17 by BWArtist; 3598 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-24

I started the poll because I was curious about the answers people would give. Are you saying white people can’t be sympathetic to or empathetic for Blacks? Yes, I could have asked race,  unti also don’t like polls with 25 options and I didn’t think about it at the time I wrote it.  Another difficult with polls here is that the more options you have, the larger the chance that each one gets 1 or fewer votes, and then aLso becomes meaningless.  So including a lot of options doesn’t necessarily give useful results.  

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-24

People who work very quickly or need breaks from hobbies can run out of things they want to spend time on, even though they love those things.  The man down the street loves to work on old cars, but I don’t see him tinkering on cars very often when I walk by. Maybe once a month.  I am more likely to see him walking his wife’s difficult dog so she doesn’t have to do it. I never see her.

MerlinsDad

Jun-24

showtalk says:  "People who work very quickly or need breaks from hobbies can run out of things they want to spend time on, even though they love those things."

I acknowledge that there are those like the gentleman you discuss.  I have too many hobbies and things I love to do to run out of time.  There's lots of parks within an hour's drive.  My camera and I have plenty to keep us busy.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-24

Photography is a wonderful hobby.

Risa (Risa25)

Jun-24

Irrelevant??  Libraries provide access to real books, to e-books, to resource materials, periodicals and so much more. They lend DVDs and CDs; they have programs for adults and children and yes, they have computers with internet access to people who don't have/can't afford mobile phones.  I've been a library user since I was old enough to read, and not having the library open for three months has been one of the hardest parts of the pandemic for me.  It's short-sighted to think that "online resources" are available to everyone.  I grew up in poverty. We didn't even have a telephone. I still remember my awe at seeing an entire room with floor to ceiling shelves of books all available to borrow for FREE.  I wouldn't be where I am today without libraries.  So don't be so quick to dismiss them as irrelevant.

MerlinsDad

Jun-24

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

kizmet1

Jun-24

Same for me. Moving from a house in the city a block from a library to a house in the county with only a bookmobile was culture shock for me. At least it stopped across the street but that is all. No storytime.
As an adult, my library is 7 miles away but the various counties allow patrons to belong to libraries in other counties.
  • Edited June 24, 2020 9:25 pm  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-25

I was speaking in an general sense.  My library has begun getting rid of books.  They are offering many non reading, non research services that take up resources that used to be devoted to books and reading.  More people are finding they don’t need to visit a library. The longer it is closed, the more options people are finding.  I still love the library but I’m disappointed in how few ebooks they have that I want to read now.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-25

I enjoy taking pictures but not the volume that you do.  

MerlinsDad

Jun-25

It's been a good hobby for a nature nerd.