Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do some cities need more police?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jun-22 by Showtalk; 403 views.

Yep. Even if masks are a long ways from 100% effective, if it brings the transmission rates below 1, it will keep new cases from rising exponentially.

From what I've been reading, even young and healthy individuals can be laid low by this disease, and it's a dice roll as to whether or not one becomes an asymptomatic carrier or is really debilitated. There are some long term disabilities that some people have developed already, that are now going on for 5 or 6 months now.

We're talking the sorts of chronic symptoms that effectively make it nearly impossible to make a living at most things - kind of like fibromyalgia-like symptoms, extreme chronic fatigue, where just getting up to take a shower or go pee can be absolutely exhausting.

That kind of level of disability is petty scary, especially since getting the kind of care one needs if they get this form of it can be daunting.

Then there's others who think they recovered, and like shingles or malaria, may have flare-ups months later. And they still don't know for sure if one still has the virus and it has made a come-back, or if there is ongoing long term damage from an immune system now on a hair trigger.

I need to design a T shirt that would convey the message in a way that resonates even with the toughest hold-outs who think wearing a mask is "wimpy". And maybe makes them think - how would they and their family handle it if they ended up bed-ridden for months? What if they are unable to return to work for months or years? Some outcomes from a financial standpoint and a productivity standpoint are actually worse than dying from it.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-25

Yes, that is one side effect. I just heard from someone who is in the medical field who said at least one coworker is out, due to Covid and will not return.  The person had terrible side effects and is permanently disabled.  They don’t talk about that much, only death rates and recovery rates.

Showtalk said:

he person had terrible side effects and is permanently disabled. They don’t talk about that much, only death rates and recovery rates.

And I know too many people who are on disability. It is a system designed to trap them in poverty, basically just warehoused in subsidized housing and unable to build up any financial cushion to handle emergencies - with a stipend for such things as food, internet, etc. that is well below the poverty level and only a tiny fraction of the true cost of living, which means they are constrained to having to get subsidies for everything.

For someone who was a productive member of society, it's often what they say is a fate worse than death. It's just merely existing, but not allowed to really do anything else.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-25

Hopefully some will recover enough to do productive work.

I hope so. But we are only about 6 months into really studying this disease. It is certainly possible that some may never be the same again even years or decades after having had the disease, much like some never can recover completely from certain traumatic injuries.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

... When I spoke with LeClerc on day 66, she was still experiencing waves of symptoms. “Before this, I was a fit, healthy 32-year-old,” she said. “Now I’ve been reduced to not being able to stand up in the shower without feeling fatigued. I’ve tried going to the supermarket and I’m in bed for days afterwards. It’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before.” Despite her best efforts, LeClerc has not been able to get a test, but “every doctor I’ve spoken to says there’s no shadow of a doubt that this has been COVID,” she said. Today is day 80. ...

... The notion that most cases are mild and brief bolsters the belief that only the sick and elderly need isolate themselves, and that everyone else can get infected and be done with it. “It establishes a framework in which ‘not hiding’ from the disease looks a manageable and sensible undertaking,” writes Felicity Callard, a geographer at the University of Glasgow, who is on day 77. As the pandemic discourse turns to talk of a second wave, long-haulers who are still grappling with the consequences of the first wave are frustrated. “I’ve been very concerned by friends and family who just aren’t taking this seriously because they think you’re either asymptomatic or dead,” said Hannah Davis, an artist from New York City, who is on day 71. “This middle ground has been hellish.” ...

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

10 weeks in and still not well. Yes, it’s serious.

Showtalk said:

10 weeks in and still not well. Yes, it’s serious.

That's the elephant in the living room with this stuff. The news media and various social media only talks mostly about those who have mild symptoms or are asymptomatic and recover, and those that die. But a large number may be right in the middle.

Today on the radio someone was talking about a birthday party. The birthday boy (going to college whenever those re-open again) thought the cough he got a couple of days earlier was just from sawdust doing construction, and he wasn't coughing by his birthday, didn't feel ill or anything.

14 people at the birthday party came down with COVID-19. His grandfather is in the ICU on a ventilator. Both parents ended up bedridden, as did his younger sibling.

I think that was in the Dallas area, but not 100% sure. It could have been 21 people who got sick, but I'm guessing 14 sick and it was his 21st birthday, as I was going down the highway and also listening to a conversation on the 70cm repeater waiting to see if I could get in a word edgewise :)

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

Did you get a word in? That is sad, but they all should have distanced.  

Minneapolis just voted to disband their police department.

Showtalk said:

Minneapolis just voted to disband their police department.

I wonder if the sheriff's office will take over the duties.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

They won’t want them either.  They want to hire BLM to create a new force.