Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do some cities need more police?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jun-22 by Showtalk; 324 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-22

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-22

1 and 2.  They need more police better trained how to descalate.  So, yes, more, but specifically trained in youth, mental health and descalation issues.  Better racism culling.  

Showtalk said:

More than 100 people were shot in Chicago over the Father's Day weekend and at least 14 of them died

That's the kind of numbers you'd expect to see in a war zone.

The densely populated cities are where the worst of the violence, exacerbated by rising levels of stress, are going to be traditionally concentrated, at least at this phase of the end of the world as we know it.

What surprises me really is how the nation is degenerating into civil war on a slow basis rather than the sudden destruction of the major cities in only 30 minutes, one nuclear warhead detonation at a time.

Well, we have been watching the unfolding of the apocalypse before our eyes. I wonder how many will either only see the signs of the times in hindsight? Sometimes it's good to be getting old. And only a couple of years ago at a funeral I was thinking the deceased was unlucky to have been taken from us so soon, now I think he was incredibly fortunate to not have to live to see the events that have unfolded more recently.

kizmet1

Jun-23

Ditto Jeri and Rocketman.

Glad I'm not unlucky enough to be stuck in one of those zones.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-24

No I e is stuck in the police fee zone in Seattle.  They want to be there.  The numbers are shrinking daily.

What if one's home or maybe the shop that is the source of their livelihood - say, a computer accessory factory - happens to be in that zone? Or other non-movable assets. It's kind of hard to just fold up a permanent structure, pack it in the trunk of the car, and haul it out of there to a safe location.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-24

The zone appears to be shut down for business.  I wonder what the inside of that police station looks or smells like.

Showtalk said:

The zone appears to be shut down for business. I wonder what the inside of that police station looks or smells like.

Then even when that zone is re-taken, I doubt any stores or other things in there will re-open. What it will really kill are the shrinking number of mom and pop places that eked out a living. The megacorp chain outlets will just abandon the zone forever, helping boost unemployment up to 3rd world levels.

And to think that for a few years, many outfits reached out to try and deal with the "food desert" problems, and this is how they get paid back. I sort of suspect that, nope, let them all suffer from obesity and diabetes and other problems of a horrible diet of junk food that is sold only under little pass-throughs beneath bulletproof glass.

As for the police station - it's probably an EPA Superfund site by now.